• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

STAY SAFE MY FLORIDA BOATING BROTHERS

Power came back on a few hours ago..................nice not to wait the additional 6 days........not that I was having a tough time my generator was keeping up with my demand...............this is the third hurricane my little gen has gone through and she never missed a beat. She puts out 30amp plugged into my panel box and use 1 gal gas every 10 hours.........approx 4 gal can a day. I have 8 5gal cans + 50 gal in the boat and both cars full.

This is my forth hurricane in Florida and the biggest problem is gasoline most folks run out in their cars and their generators. I have lost count how many gens I have fixed this week with old stale gas and crud in the carbs. My hands are gas soaked. My little gen is now at a trailer park keeping 2 trailers going 2 fridge 2 freezer and fans with a few lights. By the time this is over she will might run 8 to 10 straight days. I check oil once a day and let her rest about 4 hours a day. She will be due a fresh oil and a plug change after this. Has not burned a once of oil yet.
So what make and model generator do you have? 4gallons a day is a great burn rate!

I use an A-I power inverter generator 2000w start 1600w contentious 30 amp max. My wife and I use our smart phones to cycle the gen off an on several times a day. Using smart phone(alarm) and turning off power circuits when not in use we keep the energy use to a minimum. Example LCD TV and internet on a strip when not watching we click the strip off this turns off all sneak/circuits power in the TV and modem/Wi-Fi is totally off.

Using smart phones and having all lights bulbs LED and new appliance all energy star rated it keep the Generator in eco mode most all the time. Mathematically is works out to about 500w to get around 9 1/2 to 10 hours on a 1.1 gal tank. Some other things we do is we make a pot of coffee in the morning and my wife use thermos to keep hot and or boat yeti cooler to keep waters and Gatorade cold all day with ice so open the fridge only a few times a day. All this keep the gen in eco/turtle mode, and we cycle on an off several times a day keep the fuel use to a min, and I still maintain a good lifestyle.

Next hurricane a 6000 btu window air that uses 500w...........I'm getting too old to sleep hot......actually my wife called me cheap >>>>>> LOL

Thanks for the feedback. Like the tips about using power strips so that you can easily cycle off and eliminate parasitic draw. Have you seen the portable AC units? They look like a dehumidifier, but have an exhaust vent that you put in a window?

We have one and it’s saved us on two different occasions when the central AC quit working in our house, and we didn’t want to pay for emergency service on a weekend.

Best part is it’s on casters so no need to wrestle a window unit.

If a portable AC has only 1 hose, the same amount of air it blows out the window has to enter the house. The air that enters the house is warm and humid.
I would look for a portable unit with 2 hoses. 1 that sucks air in to cool the condenser and a second hose to blow the hot air back out side.

Finally just now got my power and my internet as well as my phone all restored

Stay safe!
Thanks for asking. It was interesting for sure I just got my power/ phone/ internet/ back yesterday evening.
I am really not sure what was worse between the storm " worst I have ever experienced since I moved here in 1970 or the crazy people who don't know or don't care that NO TRAFFIC LIGHT MEANS IT'S A 4 WAY STOP.
I am back up and running now though.

LOL. Land of no one can drive in Fl Most of my neighbors called the pool co to have new pumps installed……I showed them how to reset the gfi breakers, they also have no clue how to handle a 4way stop . Dear lord what have we become.

It makes me understand why there is more than one definition for the word dense!

Finally got my power back a few hours ago. Got it back as I was installing a transfer switch and plug for my generator lol
Well now you’ll be ready for any future power outages. Glad to see your power is back on.

Well now you’ll be ready for any future power outages. Glad to see your power is back on.
Yeah I am not playing that game ever again lol. I am going to scoop up a Predator 13k generator.

This is the transfer switch I have, model MA-23S, it is made in Georgia.
Your utility has to approve it and they come out and install it which takes about 30 mins to install since it goes between the revenue meter and your panel. If you’ve got your generator powering your house and utility power comes back on it will not switch back, but there are indicator lights that will show when utility power is available so you can turn your generator off. This unit also has a built in 75Ka lightning arrestor.

I have a 7000 watt Honda generator https://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/models/eu7000is that will run my whole place including the well. I think all in including the generator and the longer power cord was $6,000. The 7000 watt Honda generator, 5500 watt continuous, will run for 16 hours at 1/4 load, the gas tank holds five gallons, I’m sure even longer run time at less load. The generator has a LCD screen that displays among other things the amount of load the generator is supplying. It’s electric start with a back up pull rope start.

It’s also important that any portable back up generator be run with at least 50% load for 30 minutes regularly / monthly to keep it in good shape. Fixed / stationary back up generators usually run themselves for 30 minutes a month to maintain readiness.

Last edited:
And a ton of gas cans that is the other problem when no one has gas or you need to stay in line for several hours to get 10 gallons of gas and my generator lasted 24 hours on 5 gal of gas with the AC going and it ran the microwave and water heater after I did some magic to charge my breaker box so I could turn on things as I needed them but the noise is a bit annoying all day and all night .

And a ton of gas cans that is the other problem when no one has gas or you need to stay in line for several hours to get 10 gallons of gas and my generator lasted 24 hours on 5 gal of gas with the AC going and it ran the microwave and water heater after I did some magic to charge my breaker box so I could turn on things as I needed them but the noise is a bit annoying all day and all night .
The newer and nicer ones run tri-fuel. I think I will grab 2 100lb propane tanks. I can use them for my grill and griddle and top off before any storms. Stocking up on 20-30 gallons of gas before storm season isn't too bad either. I can dump it in my truck at the end of season. Worst case the boat holds 75 gallons if needed.

The newer and nicer ones run tri-fuel. I think I will grab 2 100lb propane tanks. I can use them for my grill and griddle and top off before any storms. Stocking up on 20-30 gallons of gas before storm season isn't too bad either. I can dump it in my truck at the end of season. Worst case the boat holds 75 gallons if needed.
Tri fuel? Gas, propane and gas for like a stove?

Back