• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Still May be too early

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was out near Lake St. Clair and they are fishing in the St. Clair River. Nice looking fish. Salmon, Steelhead, etc. I really want to get out, still feels early and temps can get below freezing at night. :( Mostly outboards that I saw. More boats that I thought I would see about a dozen or so. a bunch were smaller aluminum.

1648248720952.png

Yeah it was 14c / 57f a couple of days ago and had me looking at the boat itching to open her up. But the gods are calling for below freezing temps and snow next week. UGH...

I would of pulled the winter cover already and put the mooring cover on and start prepping, but I don't want some freak heavy snow to sit on the mooring cover.

My issue is that the lakes still have ice on them….

72DFF733-9C6A-49B5-98C1-96F6CAE6D95E.jpeg95C6B0B1-A4D8-4563-9816-3BB730082289.jpegDB81BD34-A086-4F17-AF3C-F1861F8C30BA.jpeg

Yeah, same here with most inland lakes.

Unfortunately all the tributary rivers dump into Lake Huron and the St. Clair River and trees start floating down just below the water line. Makes me nervous if I hit one. Still some fresh fish would be fantastic. Wondering how close I can push it to water and air temp while I am out, then just blow out the water boxes when I come in real good.

@swatski would be out with the girls skiing, you could do a two-fer, like these guys, and do some fresh water AND some ice fishing! Take your dress off and get out there!

p.s. swatski, if you're going to be visiting my state just because we've got some open water, the least you could do is give me a call and we could meet up! You own me a beer next time, we caught you on camera!

Swatski Sighting.jpg

Last edited:
We've been out twice already! Never took the boat off the lift this year. Was going to change the oil this weekend but it looks a little windy.
This shot was after we came back in...
20220212_161445.jpg

Yeah, same here with most inland lakes.

Unfortunately all the tributary rivers dump into Lake Huron and the St. Clair River and trees start floating down just below the water line. Makes me nervous if I hit one. Still some fresh fish would be fantastic. Wondering how close I can push it to water and air temp while I am out, then just blow out the water boxes when I come in real good.

Ive done that on several occasions here in the shoulder seasons…. Last year at the first fishing tournament guys were having to dunk their rods and reels in the lake as they were covered in ice. Just blow the water locks out well and you should be fine. These types of conditions is why I wanted the heated LiFePO4 batteries, so I could charge them when I got back home.

Edit: Also in the pics above you can see the forest service still hasn’t put the dock in the water.

Due to our schedules our only day to take the boat out is on Friday's which is somewhat limiting. Currently this coming Friday's forecast is 72 and partly cloudy. Hop

We still have freezing temps at night here in northern NJ, tomorrow and day after will be low twenties at night, kind of sucks as we had seen 60s already last week. Oh well, I'm doing a lot of pre-season maintenance, mostly at night after work, bundled up like a homeless person; at least there are no bugs!

It's a bit Windy in my neck of the woods

Screenshot_20220326-110837.png

@tabbibus Looks like a calmer day on the Great Lakes :)

SW MI lakes are mostly open, and they are catching their limits of salmon off the South Haven pier right now. Fish are in 20fow and they are running cranks if you can brave the temps. That said I drove through blizzard conditions on I94 last night.

@Can0n11 Would like to go down there, but boat is still not unpacked and set up yet......... It is also about 3.5 hours away, depending if it starts snowing :)

Just got back from taking mine for the first spin of ‘22. I was a bad boy this winter, never took her off the lift. I was a bit worried about frozen/burst lines or worse, but both engines fired right up, pissers pissed and away we went. Should I do/check anything at this point or if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it? (I am well aware this is not that kind of site… you’re more of an “if it ain’t broke, modify it” bunch.)

Just got back from taking mine for the first spin of ‘22. I was a bad boy this winter, never took her off the lift. I was a bit worried about frozen/burst lines or worse, but both engines fired right up, pissers pissed and away we went. Should I do/check anything at this point or if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it? (I am well aware this is not that kind of site… you’re more of an “if it ain’t broke, modify it” bunch.)
I did the same thing....my biggest worry was the bilge pumps (I have two), and if bilge water froze in them they might crack. So I'll be checking my pump operations before going to bimini just to be sure they both are operational. Other than that...no real damage can be done.

LSC from new restuarant on the water today

20220326_164746.jpg

Just more cold, rainy, & windy days here in the Tampa bay area .

Attachments

• florida on a cold day.jpg
    florida on a cold day.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 40
I was excited because next week it said it was going to be 70 degrees in Ohio. Not the case anymore.

Back