• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Goodbye Good Riddance 2021 Yamaha SX195

JESFromASC

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
After two seasons with our Yamaha SX195 it was time to say goodbye.
And IMO good riddance.
Honestly the one and only good thing I can say about it was GREAT SWIM PLATFORM!
Sorry but absolutely, pathetic, stupid, ridiculous gas mileage.
Sick of lugging and dumping 5 Gallons and 25$+ into it every time we headed to the marina slip.
12 miles down the lake 12 miles back and kiss $50+ away.
Crap handling. Scary AF at idle speeds. Crap feedback at the wheel.
Had to add Cobra Jet steering enhancement because?
Engine too loud to talk over.
Anyway - everyone is entitled to their opinion.
And I can sum it up by answering that question they always ask during product reviews: "Would you recommend this product to a friend?"
Answer = No.

Last edited:

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Looks like you did not do your due diligence before buying, all that you mentioned is available if you took your time researching will save you the hassle of owning a boat you will not enjoy. On fuel complaint, that's not too bad unless you get inflatable dinghy with 5hp motor not sure how other boat can save you on fuel.

Babin Farms

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Looks like you did not do your due diligence before buying, all that you mentioned is available if you took your time researching will save you the hassle of owning a boat you will not enjoy. On fuel complaint, that's not too bad unless you get inflatable dinghy with 5hp motor not sure how other boat can save you on fuel.
Couldn’t agree more. I knew buying this boat that it would be different but accepted it. As far as fuel mileage, there probably aren’t too many other boats out there with the same hp that get any better.

CaptRedbeard

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I'm curious - are you purchasing a different boat to replace your 195, or are you going boatless?

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I actually really like my 2022 SX195. Easy to tow and launch/recover with just myself. Fuel mileage isn’t great (as expected with a supercharger and a jet ski engine is a 3000lb boat), but what boat is? Maybe a pontoon? I also added the CJS fins and that made it drastically better at slow speeds and docking, but again, I knew this because I had an old Sea Doo GTS jet ski and it was shit at slow speeds. I did an astronomical amount of research before putting down our deposit and compared all the manufactures, what you get standard, warranty and consumer reports/reviews. It is rather loud, but then again, you sit pretty much on the engine. IMO, the only downfall, I wish Yamaha offered just an all white hull. Down here in Central Florida, the sun is pretty rough on dark colors (cars, boats, RVs).

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Sick of lugging and dumping 5 Gallons and 25$+ into it every time we headed to the marina slip.
12 miles down the lake 12 miles back and kiss $25+ away.
5 gallons to cover 24 miles? That's 4.8 mpg. That's exceptional fuel economy especially for a turbocharged jet boat, and would be outstanding for almost any boat. I'm guessing your real usage is more like 2.4 - 3.0 mpg?

If you want better economy you could try a kayak or canoe. :D

Good luck with the sale. Priced reasonably it should sell quickly (if it hasn't already) as there are a lot of reasons that Yamaha 19' boats are some of the best selling boats in the market.

Jim

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
BCD2BEAF-6AAA-459C-BE2F-C69EB116D958.jpeg

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I second the question on your boating future... What are you planning?

Best of luck however you go, hopefully another boat that meets your needs.

It's a though call between nice rear platform and reliable and serviceable outboard. Don't be a stranger and let us know what you end up doing.

Judge

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
275SD
Boat Length
I had a '14 SX192 and I thought it was the best boat I had ever owned up to that point. Before that boat I owned owned an MFG outboard.... a Browning tri-hull with a 455 Olds and Berkley Jet... and then a 20' Rinker with 350 Mercruiser.

The SX192 ran faster than the Rinker and I could easily run all weekend on 40 gallons of fuel if I was not WOT the whole time. It got better fuel economy than the 350 Mercruiser.

It handled very well with the Cobra Jet fins..... but still better than the Berkley Jet before I added the Cobra Jet fins. I thought it handled as good as the Rinker.... but this was my second Jet boat so I had several years running a Jet before the Yamaha.

As far as noise.... you could hear the Browning coming for miles when it was on plane and the exhaust was out of the water. That 455 Olds was a beast.

Jets aren't for everyone and it takes time and experience to master them. While there are differences compared to an outboard or stern drive, once you have enough experience with a Jet I don't think it is all that much different than any other drive.

But owning a boat is like owning a motorhome or a hot rod..... you don't buy them for fuel economy. It's a lifestyle and it's about having fun. If you have to worry about the cost of fuel or fuel economy, then maybe those hobbies aren't for you at the end of the day.

Last edited:

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
I had a '14 SX192 and I thought it was the best boat I had ever owned up to that point. Before that boat I owned owned an MFG outboard.... a Browning tri-hull with a 455 Olds and Berkley Jet... and then a 20' Rinker with 350 Mercruiser.

The SX192 ran faster than the Rinker and I could easily run all weekend on 40 gallons of fuel if I was not WOT the whole time. It got better fuel economy than the 350 Mercruiser.

It handled very well with the Cobra Jet fins..... but still better than the Berkley Jet before I added the Cobra Jet fins. I thought it handled as good as the Rinker.... but this was my second Jet boat so I had several years running a Jet before the Yamaha.

Jets aren't for everyone and it takes time and experience to master them. While there are differences compared to an outboard or stern drive, once you have enough experience with a Jet I don't think it is all that much different than any other drive.

But owning a boat is like owning a motorhome or a hot rod..... you don't buy them for fuel economy. It's a lifestyle and it's about having fun. If you have to worry about the cost of fuel or fuel economy, then maybe those hobbies aren't for you at the end of the day.
Well put!

granpachuck

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
After two seasons with our Yamaha SX195 it was time to say goodbye.
And IMO good riddance.
Honestly the one and only good thing I can say about it was GREAT SWIM PLATFORM!
12 miles down the lake 12 miles back and kiss $50+ away.
Crap handling. Scary AF at idle speeds. Crap feedback at the wheel.
Had to add Cobra Jet steering enhancement because?
Engine too loud to talk over.
Anyway - everyone is entitled to their opinion.
And I can sum it up by answering that question they always ask during product reviews: "Would you recommend this product to a friend?"
Answer = No.
**Honestly the one and only good thing I can say about it was GREAT SWIM PLATFORM!**

Wondering if this level of honesty was provided to your buyer ? If it wasn't, I hope he is familiar with the quirks of jetboating. If he joins this forum, sees your post, and it conflicts with your ad or description, he may not be happy.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
How these are driven has tons to do with fuel economy. We have found since the kids grew up and we did less tubing, it was amazing how much less fuel we used. (which seems obvious) But running 24 miles in one day, you know that boat was at WOT throttle plenty. And that would be at it's worst fuel economy other than surfing.

Finding that sweet spot in the throttle when cruising not only makes it ride smoother, quieter and use less fuel. For us these days, it's 2000rpm on no wake mode with a cocktail in hand. (smile) I may work the wheel more than my tritoon buddies, but I can park it like a boss in places they cannot.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I may work the wheel more than my tritoon buddies, but I can park it like a boss in places they cannot.
Sooooo True here.

I drove my buddies Tri-Toon a month or two ago. Thing turns like a school bus and is like 137 turns lock-to-lock on that steering wheel.

I'll take the "wandering" (which my short I/O did as well) of the jet in exchange for the ability to turn 360deg inside it's own length!

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Trying to figure out, in starting this thread, what the purpose or expected outcome was.

Are you wanting someone to talk you off the ledge? Not going out the window (buying the boat) and getting on the ledge in the first place is/was on you.

Are you just wanting to vent? Seems like you knew you were going to get inundated with opposing opinions, so.....?

Are you trying to warn off others? Seems like you've given them very little that can't be addressed, but why didn't you consider this in the first place, for yourself?

As others have asked, what's the plan going forward, boatless or moving to something else?

Puzzling, to say the least.

RNYCLV

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Bit Harsh...but I'm assuming you haven't owned a boat before,..
My past boats have been tanks, 78 Marquis with a 350 ...you could hear that beast half way down Lake George. Let's not talk about gas usage on that one. Then the 90's Sea Ray was a gas pig. This year with the Yamaha was a love hate via issues, but they were all much easier to fix on the Yamaha then any of my previous boats.
It was an adjustment going prop to jet, but I love it.

Last edited:

Thermobrett

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX195
Boat Length
If I was crunching numbers and compiling reviews and testimonials when buying this type of boat (like I did when I bought mine) I would consider this an outlier. Sure there are downsides to anything and everyone is entitled to their opinion, but life must have been really awful on this boat.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If I was crunching numbers and compiling reviews and testimonials when buying this type of boat (like I did when I bought mine) I would consider this an outlier. Sure there are downsides to anything and everyone is entitled to their opinion, but life must have been really awful on this boat.
I'll be the first to admit the handling is different. It's not bad, it's not horrible, it's different. There are a different set of skills and reponses required to drive a 19ft jet boat as compared to a car. If you go into driving a boat with the mentality that the steering works the same, and the throttle is just on a handle instead of a pedal, you'll be sorely disappointed. I suspect that is where most of these comments from OP come from. They were expecting it to drive like a car and it doesn't. It drives like a jet boat.