• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

How to replace Reverse Gate cable

Hobbes Mckay

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for getting back to me, but I'm getting confused as to the lengths. The thread you referenced says that a 2008 SX210 uses CCX63319 (19 feet) for reverse cables but the OEM cable from amazon (# F1T-U149C-00-00 ) says that it is 128" (10 feet 8 inches) in length for a 2007(or 2008) SX210. So Wouldn't the CCX63311 (11 feet) be the similar length cable from teleflex? Thoughts? It just seems like a huge difference between 11 and 19 feet...

Ilmmct

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Hobbes Mckay I can't help you on this. I am one of the less mechanically inclined guys on the forum and only venture into mods and DIY repairs if a braver and more highly skilled member has charted a path and well documented their effort before me.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
So I got around to doing this job today and let me tell you I DREADED trying to tackle this. It's going to be warm here Friday and hoping to get the boat out. I desperately did not want to pull my floor. Just installed mats, and if I broke bolts that'd for sure delay my taking the boat out. So poked around the garage to see what I had. Found 1/4" fuel line which I use on my skis. It was just the right size to fit over the metal bits of the cables. Spliced them together using the fuel like, and then electrical taped them to allow something smooth to glide on. They pulled right through super easy. Was impressed! Took longer to get the clean out port tray than it did to get the cables done. My reverse bucket clips were frozen onto the old cable. I was able to get them off with a torch. Don't really want to reuse them, and have new ones that were supposed to be delivered today. In any event I cleaned them up and got them functioning the way they should and put them on enough so I could get the cables sealed up with some loctite equivalent of 3m 4200. Pulled the cable to the rear clean out hatch then cut the fuel line off and pulled them through. Can't wait to try out the shifting to see how smooth it is. I really wanted to play with it today, but figured I better let the sealant fully cure. I'll see how it feels tomorrow.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Wow, that old line looks like you were right to address this now!
Yeah I had no idea it was that bad. It was stiff to shift, but didn't know it was on the brink of breaking. I don't think I would have made it through this season.

svana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had my starboard side cable fail on me on the way in yesterday, leaving the gate in full reverse. I’m going to swap it here shortly, but would it be prudent to swap the port side as well while I’m at it? I’m thinking of it like a car, anything that’s failing on your drivers side is likely to fail on your passengers side shortly.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I had my starboard side cable fail on me on the way in yesterday, leaving the gate in full reverse. I’m going to swap it here shortly, but would it be prudent to swap the port side as well while I’m at it? I’m thinking of it like a car, anything that’s failing on your drivers side is likely to fail on your passengers side shortly.
Yes, I'd do both at the same time, the cables arent that expensive the biggest "cost" is your time....save some by doing them together.

svana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Yes, I'd do both at the same time, the cables arent that expensive the biggest "cost" is your time....save some by doing them together.
Sounds good, thanks.

svana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
This part came out while I was disassembling the throttles and of course I can’t find where it goes...any ideas? I can’t seem to find it on the starboard lever, it came off as I was working on the port.

Attachments

svana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Also, is it standard for reverse to be a little stiffer than forward?

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
This part came out while I was disassembling the throttles and of course I can’t find where it goes...any ideas? I can’t seem to find it on the starboard lever, it came off as I was working on the port.
That goes under your throttle lever. In Between the lever and the housing. Some come out easy, some don't come out at all.

svana

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That goes under your throttle lever. In Between the lever and the housing. Some come out easy, some don't come out at all.
Yep I managed to find a similar diagram and inferred where it was supposed to go. Turns out the stbd one was missing which is why I couldn’t find out where it went lol.

suke

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Yep I managed to find a similar diagram and inferred where it was supposed to go. Turns out the stbd one was missing which is why I couldn’t find out where it went lol.
Mine hopped out the first time and I had no idea where it was supposed to go. I was lucky enough the other one didn't fall out, so poking around saw that one in there and figured it out.

tdonoughue

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Just wanted to let y'all know that I found this part after installing my trim tabs and figured it was from somewhere around the throttle. Then I got on and saw this. Perfect! Two solves for the price of one. Thanks!

feziwig

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I just replaced my gate cables today using this write up. Thanks @Julian who made this so easy. What a difference. I bought my boat 2 years ago and had I known how much better it would be, I’d have done it right away. I found the cables for $39 each
Link below. I was able to connect the new cables to the old ones at the helm using some rubber fuel line I had, and pull the cables right through from the back. Made things a snap. Still had to help guide it through and pull the clean out hatch to get them in but made things much easier. If your throttles are at all sticky this is the way to go.

Jynx239

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
did you remove this white nut or were you able to just push the cable through?

there is still a lot of silicone that I need to remove inside the hull in order to push it through, just curious.

Attachments

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
did you remove this white nut or were you able to just push the cable through?

there is still a lot of silicone that I need to remove inside the hull in order to push it through, just curious.
Yes, you have to remove that and all the silicon.