• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Push Button Start Mod - It works! With video and full instructions

Ryan Cassidy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey All - I just finished this mod (and a stereo install) last night. Both followed Mainah's approach. I might do the Beep mod next :)

I have an SX240 2010 and his instructions worked perfectly! The circuit boards were a little intimidating I'm not going to lie, but with his simplified instructions after a few seconds I felt like an old pro. The instructions from the vendor can be a tad overwhelming.

On the SX240, I don't think it's any deviation, but I wired the push buttons on the male side of the key wiring harnesses. This was easier for me as the female side of the harnesses only has about 3 inches of wire to work with. I did this for all but the Y/R wire as it is only available on the female side. I also couldn't find the small (2mm or so) female spade terminals in time for the back of the push buttons. I was able to solder them, but just take your time as it is close quarters back there. I also filled with hot glue and wrapped in electrical tape to help insulate the terminals.

I'd highly recommend you take the time and solder all your connections too BTW. But his instructions are spot on. Biggest challenge I had was keeping track of everything. I labeled every wire for its origin and destination which helped out at the end of the day. I can't wait to take the boat out this afternoon now! :)

Thanks Mainah!

Rob9550

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Mainah, thanks for the motivation for me to complete my own push button start mod. Mine is a little different than yours because I wanted just 1 key with a push button start to each engine. I also added a single engine off button so I can kill both engines at the same time without having to turn the ignition key off. Turning the ignition off with the key also turns off both engines. Here's some pics of my setup:

View attachment 37900
I moved the single ignition key to the tray under the radio because I did not want to make any holes that were permanent. I also put the engine kill button on the side of the tray. If I wanted to undo this mod, all I would need to do is replace the tray and there's no traces of this mod ever being made.

View attachment 37901 View attachment 37902 View attachment 37903 View attachment 37904

This mod is not only for the cool push button factor, it is also practical. The keychain float that I have on my keys always rested in the cup holder right below the ignitions so it got in the way of my drink. Now, the key and keychain are both out of the way.
This is the one that I would like to do. Only change I would make is the red changed to green and the stop button to red. Did you happen to document your install?

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Rob9550 There are pdfs attached at the start of the thread. The green button is start and the red stop. I did increase the the cycle times by 1/10 of a second each after I posted those instructions. @Ryan Cassidy made some good points about the buttons I choose. Very tiny and tight connectors so good soldering skills will help or you can find different buttons.

Ryan Cassidy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I've used these for 2 straight weekends of intense on/off requirements. Worked flawlessly! I like it better than many stock push buttons I've seen. I'm very happy I did this!

Rob9550

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I wish that I could pay some one to do it for me, going to be on 12's for the next couple weeks and just won't have time.

spaz1868

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is the one that I would like to do. Only change I would make is the red changed to green and the stop button to red. Did you happen to document your install?
I didn't document because it was so close to @Mainah's documentation. The only difference was that I used the regular bosch style relays (3). PM me if you have any specific questions. I love the mod so far and I am preparing for buzzer/beeper mod that @Mainah posted. I just received the relay for that project as a matter of fact so I should have it ready to go in by this weekend.

Nick Hughes

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I started my day reading your stereo upgrade thread and found myself here. Was just thinking about next level of this. In iOS 10 they have added Siri API, trying to think of how you could use Siri in a custom app, lets call it JetBoaters.net Boat Starter, to then interface with the push button mechanism. This would most likely be a bluetooth developers tool to send a pulse. I, myself, am an iOS developer and could do this relatively easily in an app. Just need someone (OP) from engineering to figure out the bluetooth mechanism. Yes, I'm serious, I think this is possible without that much effort.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Nick Hughes lots of ways to do that. We could do away with the relays I used and go with an arduino uno and relay sheild or use the boards I did and use this off the Bluetooth relay boards with you modifing an app or building a new the app for it to trigger the relays that I used. Just search amazon for bluetooth relay.

We should definatly put our heads together as I have an idea that could add all of the e series features through a second touch screen or app but I am a raw data and backend coding guy that lacks UI development experience. I have been an electronics hobbiest since I was a teenager and have done lots of neat projects and am good with fabrication in muliple materials.

Anyone else out there that could add programming or electronics skills?

I will send a pm later so we might be able to connect.

Nick Hughes

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I can do the UI development, but I am not a UI designer, so my designs are typically rudimentary and more functional than pretty.

What from the e-series could you see being used? I dont know all the e-series features, but cruise control and/or user profiles are what I wish i had. If we figured that out, Im willing to bet the app starts getting some monetary value to all the JB.net users.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Rob9550

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Did you guys ever work out a Bluetooth starter? I have all the items in my cart to do this mod soon.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Rob9550 The hardware exists but I am not an app developer. If someone ever got an app up and running it would just use additional hardware as an additional trigger besides the buttons and could be added on later. While using a phone to start the boat would have cool factor my opinion it that it would be more of a novety and the push buttons make more sense in a lot of cases.

I do need to make an update to the instructions for the crank time on the 1.8l. Think I figured out that it needs an extra tenth of a second at times. You can just add a tenth to each of the times and you should be good on a 1.8l. Timimg will likely be different on other engines but very easy to modify if needed with the buttons on the relays.

Please post your results and enjoy.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@Mainah, @Ryan Cassidy, How do you have your switches wired? Which option below and why? Also, can you explain which posts are connected to which wires in Mainah's diagram? I am getting ready to connect the switches and am probably over thinking it. I am assuming the positive switch post on start button connects to yellow path since I want the led to illuminate when the keys are in the on position. I assume the purple path connects to the 3rd post on the bottom right (located under the negative post and a little left of it). I assume I can use the negative post to ground and I can ground by connecting to the black wire at the ignition.

Now the Stop button is where I am over thinuking it. Can either the brown path or the yellow path connect to the positive post? Same with the bottom right post. Can either path connect to it? And I assume I ground to the black wire of the Starboard ignition.

Thanks,

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Anyone else have an idea? I bet most are out on the water right now.

YamahaForMe

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
The raspberry pi 3 model B has Bluetooth. It would probably be overkill, but you could make it work. I assume you could use its GPIO to drive the relays.

Big Shasta

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Love it....Now how about a 2 minute timer pushbutton for the blower with a beep at the end to indicate it's safe to start. I always forgot about that damn thing until the first stop.

Or maybe the newer boats already have something like this.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Love it....Now how about a 2 minute timer pushbutton for the blower with a beep at the end to indicate it's safe to start. I always forgot about that damn thing until the first stop.

Or maybe the newer boats already have something like this.
The new boats do automatically turn the blower on when the key is turned on - and stays on for 4 minutes...then turns off automatically.

Mainah

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@OperationROL - PM sent. Given your question on this I will add a supplmentary page to the instructions next week. I will also add a faq page as differennt people have reached out with the same questions.

Ryan Cassidy

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Ha I had the same question.... This is what Mainah told me... It worked perfect for me!

"NO1 = normally open 1
NC1 = normally closed 1
C1 = common 1

Is this case you want the circuit to be open when not pressed so use NO1 and C1."

And a Minor Add as I didn't realize this until I thought about it some more.. On his Diagram.. the Yellow wires go to the C1 and the Purple goes to NO1 on the Start and the orange goes to NO1 on the Stop.

HTH's.

Ryan

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Thanks guys. I have been so overly cautious performing this mod for some reason. I thank @Mainah for creating this mod and posting the parts list and instructions for others to benefit. I also want to thank him so much for putting up with all my PM's. You cannot imagine the little simple stuff I am bouncing off of him to make sure this comes out right. Thanks guiys. I am 90% completed now. All that is left is programming and hooking up the Brown wires!