• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

show off your guns here(fire arms)

F.M.

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
Looking for advice now that I can carry in Maryland I would like recommendations as tot he best pistol to carry. I am looking t a price between 500 and 600 hundred dollars. I would also use as a home defense gun. Don't know if age makes a difference however I will be 77 in sept.
I would visit my local gun shop and our shooting range. Put your hands on as many handguns as you can to see how they feel/fit in your hand. If your local range has gun rentals, shoot as many of them as can to get a feel for handling and recoil. Make sure to ask questions and take notes. Then compare notes on different handguns and buy what feels, handles and shoots best to you. You may find that you don't like subcompact models and would prefer to carry a compact or full size.

Everyone has suggested some great handguns, but no two people like the same thing or shoot the same way. I love my P365, it shoots great and I'm very proficient with it. My buddy can barely put a shot on paper with it at 15yds. But he can stack bullets with Glock 43 and his micro Kimber.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
P365XL.....in the price range, great carry gun, big enough do double as home defense. At 77, I highly suggest a red dot. Do NOT get a RomeoZero.....use a Holsun 507K of going with a 365XL.
What he said

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Looking for advice now that I can carry in Maryland I would like recommendations as tot he best pistol to carry. I am looking t a price between 500 and 600 hundred dollars. I would also use as a home defense gun. Don't know if age makes a difference however I will be 77 in sept.
I suggest finding a gun store with a range to try out a variety of handguns to see what you are most comfortable with. 9MM semiautomatic and 357 magnum / 38 special combo revolvers would likely be a good place to start.

Personally I prefer the KAHR PM9. It is an American made 9MM with a target barrel. I find it to be highly reliable and comfortable for 25 yard targets while fitting in most pockets. The Springfield Hellcat series is in your price range and is a firearm that I would like to own.

Typically firearms small enough to carry comfortably are not the most comfortable to shoot. You may find that you prefer a full sized handgun, a shotgun or a small rifle for your home.

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There's lots to consider, so I don't think there's such a thing that exists as "best", for everyone. You are getting, and will get, lots of good recommendations, but they should be looked at as starting points. If you can find a range that rents any of the suggestions, that's the first thing I'd start with.

I don't know, for reference, what size/type of person or body style you are. @fatboyroy has concerns and points that lead him to carry a different weapon than many would consider, but they're valid for his wants/needs. Others have different reasons to carry something else.

The type of holster and how you plan to carry are also HUGE factors - like @fatboyroy said a large gun is cumbersome, I had a similar feeling until I went to IWB (inside the waistband) carry, with a Crossbreed holster, and it changed everything for me. Others may disagree with my choices, but they fit MY needs much better.

I used to carry a Springfield XDS, which was something people were high on as a carry choice. It flat-out sucked for me, as I couldn't confidently operate it without dropping the magazine, either on the draw, or a few shots into the magazine. It went from a good suggestion to something I got rid of, as I couldn't count on it. Gotta start somewhere though, and it wasn't a bad start - my wife liked it, and we would have kept it if she didn't LOVE her carry weapon even more.

I would check to see if Crossbreed makes a holster for the suggestions here - you will see what the difference is in types of carrying too - and start from there. I cannot recommend that company enough. If they don't have a holster for your choice, they can work with you, or may have one in the works.

Red dot is a great suggestion as well, but will make it somewhat larger and may add potential for printing and less concealed carry. Try to test it out, but it really will help tremendously if you're ever in a situation to need it.

Last thing I would point out is a way to practice, otherwise you may end up doing more damage to yourself! iShot, Mantis X, etc allow you to practice at home, practice your draw, practice ranges with your weapon.

I didn't offer you any suggestions, for the reasons above, but I'm a fan of Glocks. They most definitely are not for everyone, and their double stacks may not feel comfortable in your hand at all due to the size, but they do have single stacks that you might like. This, alone, is why I said to try to test/rent several, and see what feels good to you. It very well may change, like it did for me, and you have spent a good amount of money on a "best" setup that turned out to stink - for you. I can EASILY conceal a Glock 17 - and would prefer mine carry all the time - but it's not comfortable for long-distance driving. I use it 25% of the time for that reason. For long distance driving, I have a Glock 48, and a 43X. Sounds weird, but the 48 is a "summer" gun, and the 43X is for when more clothes are worn. The 48 is the one that feels slightly less comfortable in my hand, but it's my compromise for the situation that I still feel comfortable with - your comfort should always be first and last in the decision.

You have great suggestions to start from in this thread, enjoy the process!

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I have a Kimber Ultra CDP II 1911 in .45 ACP for my main carry and a Kimber Ultra CDP 1911 in .380 ACP for my backup.. . Bedside is a Kimber Stainless Target Long Slide 1911 in .45 ACP 6" barrel, since the custom shop CDP's come with ambi safety I added a the Kimber ambi safety and extended magwell to the Long Slide and Houge laser grip... 1911's fit me like a glove being a south paw... Blond Beach Barbie has the Ruger LCP II in .380 and the Ruger LCP Light rack in 22LR and she loves the light rack

84rzv500r

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
There's lots to consider, so I don't think there's such a thing that exists as "best", for everyone. You are getting, and will get, lots of good recommendations, but they should be looked at as starting points. If you can find a range that rents any of the suggestions, that's the first thing I'd start with.

I don't know, for reference, what size/type of person or body style you are. @fatboyroy has concerns and points that lead him to carry a different weapon than many would consider, but they're valid for his wants/needs. Others have different reasons to carry something else.

The type of holster and how you plan to carry are also HUGE factors - like @fatboyroy said a large gun is cumbersome, I had a similar feeling until I went to IWB (inside the waistband) carry, with a Crossbreed holster, and it changed everything for me. Others may disagree with my choices, but they fit MY needs much better.

I used to carry a Springfield XDS, which was something people were high on as a carry choice. It flat-out sucked for me, as I couldn't confidently operate it without dropping the magazine, either on the draw, or a few shots into the magazine. It went from a good suggestion to something I got rid of, as I couldn't count on it. Gotta start somewhere though, and it wasn't a bad start - my wife liked it, and we would have kept it if she didn't LOVE her carry weapon even more.

I would check to see if Crossbreed makes a holster for the suggestions here - you will see what the difference is in types of carrying too - and start from there. I cannot recommend that company enough. If they don't have a holster for your choice, they can work with you, or may have one in the works.

Red dot is a great suggestion as well, but will make it somewhat larger and may add potential for printing and less concealed carry. Try to test it out, but it really will help tremendously if you're ever in a situation to need it.

Last thing I would point out is a way to practice, otherwise you may end up doing more damage to yourself! iShot, Mantis X, etc allow you to practice at home, practice your draw, practice ranges with your weapon.

I didn't offer you any suggestions, for the reasons above, but I'm a fan of Glocks. They most definitely are not for everyone, and their double stacks may not feel comfortable in your hand at all due to the size, but they do have single stacks that you might like. This, alone, is why I said to try to test/rent several, and see what feels good to you. It very well may change, like it did for me, and you have spent a good amount of money on a "best" setup that turned out to stink - for you. I can EASILY conceal a Glock 17 - and would prefer mine carry all the time - but it's not comfortable for long-distance driving. I use it 25% of the time for that reason. For long distance driving, I have a Glock 48, and a 43X. Sounds weird, but the 48 is a "summer" gun, and the 43X is for when more clothes are worn. The 48 is the one that feels slightly less comfortable in my hand, but it's my compromise for the situation that I still feel comfortable with - your comfort should always be first and last in the decision.

good point comfort and what fits you is the most important.... also get some snap caps and practice practice practice... im still trying different IWB holsters. I prefer a cross draw as I am not as flexable as I once was...

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
good point comfort and what fits you is the most important.... also get some snap caps and practice practice practice... im still trying different IWB holsters. I prefer a cross draw as I am not as flexable as I once was...
I really recommend the laser practice kits. Mantis X seems to be the new one everyone is promoting, but there's several.

Look for one that has an app, as it will have drills to run through, target practice, and you can actually see your results.

iShot is what I have, and you can download the app for free. The paid version didn't have anything more that I needed over the free version, but I got the paid one thrown in with the kit, at the time (may be different now).

If you already have a laser sighting-in round, try an app to see for yourself. I think you'll find it very useful to see actual results.

I still have my snap caps, but they get very little use anymore

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

Great input… I carried Glock 17 for 5 years then 10 yr Glock 26. Then I started running 3 miles a day when I moved to Florida that’s when I bought the Ruger lcp.380 for running it’s just so comfy I just used it to carry all the time. I would also suggest get a full size pistol then buy second one if your main doesn’t cut it.

captainhook

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
Definitely good suggestions to try to see what you prefer by holding it, unfortunately with SCOTUS restoring our rights in this state, and then the governor graciously directing the Maryland State Police to eliminate "good and substantial" bullshit reasoning, all of the carry guns disappeared overnight from the few gun stores we have in this area. In fact, there were so many applications in the two weeks after the governor's "announcement," the Maryland State Police's website completely broke as did they exceed the outgoing email limit from the provider they use (it was 10,000 emails/day). So yeah, those if you in free states in America have it much better than we do. :):brb:😭

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
John,
As everyone has said, find a local indoor range that you can "rent" a gun to try. Our's cost about $10-15. and you can try as many as they have, you just have to buy their ammunition which is usually at full cost. It's definitely worth the expense, I thought I wanted a glock 43 but after shooting it found it wasn't for me and ended up with a sig 938 that just shoots where I look,

practice is very important so finding ammunition in these times will also be difficult/expensive, 9mm has been easier to come by, the .380 is almost twice as expensive and harder to find.

If you're not familiar with pistols I might even suggest paying for some instruction, it will be money well spent.

Luckily I decided I was going to go with 9mm a few years ago and stocked up on about 10k rounds, so now the kids and I can go shoot/practice and not have to worry to much about supply for the moment,
last week I purchased a Sig P320 X5, a larger 9mm more for target shooting for my youngest daughter (bigger gun/less recoil) and to keep her involved.

GTBRMC

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Regarding ammo availability, there are a few aggregated search engines that find nearly anything available via Internet. Note: check your local / state / provincial / federal laws and regulations to ensure this option is legal near you.

My recent favorites: https://ammoseek.com/

and

Years ago, this was the best, but they seem very slow to update lately: GunBot 17hmr rimfire ammo

There are others.

Worth noting, the shipping costs are often a bit stiff, so buying in larger quantities is often needed to manage landed cost.

Crob83

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR195
Boat Length
Great input… I carried Glock 17 for 5 years then 10 yr Glock 26. Then I started running 3 miles a day when I moved to Florida that’s when I bought the Ruger lcp.380 for running it’s just so comfy I just used it to carry all the time. I would also suggest get a full size pistol then buy second one if your main doesn’t cut it.
Yep I conceal carry the Ruger EC9s, best little bargain gun for under $300 IMO. Put a 10rd magazine on it and im satisfied. Got sick of carrying my big ass glock 22 around.

Attachments

fatboyroy

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Yep I conceal carry the Ruger EC9s, best little bargain gun for under $300 IMO. Put a 10rd magazine on it and im satisfied. Got sick of carrying my big ass glock 22 around.
lol same, after carrying my little one, im like wtf am i doing carrying heavy guns on the daily[/QUOTE]

Nakk

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
From my last holster qualification... .45 baby! DA Sig Sauer out shot all the baby 9mm striker fired weapons. :) Just kidding about 9mm being a "baby," LOL. My carry is a 9mm, but I much prefer shooting my .45. 188366824_248536420352339_554443568418890037_n.jpg