• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Video Description of Yamaha's Articulating Keel

OrangeTJ

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I agree. It seems that some folks aren't seeing that Yamaha has incorporated an extended keel along the aft half of the hull, of which the "rudder" is just a part. Even without the articulating part, I would imagine that keel would be good for tracking at speed.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I'm not saying they didn't add a keel to the boat. Just saying that the articulated part could be described this way:

• a flat piece, usually of wood, metal, or plastic, hinged vertically near the stern of a boat or ship for steering. (the dictionary definition of a rudder)

ptwb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I see the keel, and I see a rudder attached to the back.

That the rudder does or doesn't hang below is irrelevant, it is a rudder. These are jetboats and they've put on the smallest rudder possible to try and solve a problem while creating as few new issues as possible.

The naming is all marketting pure and simple. Yamahas have long been known for their poor low speed handling. If they called it a rudder, it would be like admitting they finally had to do something, which they've actually had to do.

IMO, the problem is they did just about the cheesiest thing imaginable. It looks terrible and so out of place.

The 3/4 turn now being 1.5 turns is also disconcerting. Once you learn the boat, it's actually more manueverable than a prop, but I don't know if I like the idea of having to turn the wheel that much more as I'm manuevering and spinning etc around the docks and ramp.

Pointblank

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Well I guess a good thing is that if you don't like you can remove it very easy and either run it without anything or add Thrust Vectors or Cobra Fins.
@Williamsone46, IIRC you're one of the lucky few to have experienced it firsthand. What's your takeaway on the 3/4 turn v 1.5 turn changeover (pros/cons)?

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Actually adding the keel is going to require a lot more influence to steer the boat since the keel will make it want to go straight, I know I have been making the Yamaha jet boats steer at all speeds, track better handle heavy waves and water sports, all with no keel and with adjustments for the individual owner to tweak the results for their personal preference and style.
Either of my newer patented steering systems ultimates or magnums would work quite well with the rudder removed and the keel in place.
Years ago Yamaha people asked me to make my steering available to them as an after market item, they said they spent a lot of money promoting the safety of not having lower units propellers etc. hanging off the back of the boats. I already offered those parts as aftermarket since I really did not want to become a slave to all this I suggested they look at the molded nozzles and other designs I have patented with the offer to license the rights to them and they could make the parts.
Apparently the person I was talking to was not the correct one to handle that he was just in the aftermarket parts area.
I think they may have been better off going that route.
I probably should look into marketing those to the other jet boat manufacturers since they may wish to counter this with something more practical and cost effective.
I am pleased that Yamaha is making the enhanced steering for all speeds as this validates what I have been doing for years. If anyone knows the patent number for this rudder I would love to look at the application, prior art etc.

Pointblank

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I am pleased that Yamaha is making the enhanced steering for all speeds as this validates what I have been doing for years. If anyone knows the patent number for this rudder I would love to look at the application, prior art etc.
http://www.google.com/patents/US20140137783

Everything else aside, I do find it curious that Yamaha marketing material is advertising it as 'patented' when the status seems to indicate it is still in application phase.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Thanks.
I like most people figured that they would know all the loop holes but I was really curious as to how on earth you get a patent on a rudder for a boat.
I hear rumors that those existed even back before I was born.
A tie rod from the nozzle to the rudder is already patented.
Go figure. !

ptwb

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Technically, Yamaha's rudder does extend beneath the bottom of the boat when it's turned for steering. It just doesn't extend below the lowest point, but when it's turned, it will be lower than the sides, otherwise it wouldn't work as well.

It really is funny. They're trying to patent a rudder, just basically, a rudder on a jetboat that doesn't extend beneath the very bottom of the hull.

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Hmmmm they only listed the first one of my 3 patents they were required to list all know prior art, my 3rd patent takes away a lot of their claims . Guess they forgot that one.
US20030176120 *Mar 13, 2003Sep 18, 2003Walkowiak Jeffrey T.Auxiliary keel system for marine crafts powered by jet propulsion systems

The first two , 6561858 and 6702630 cover the tie rods from the nozzle to the rudders etc, but the last one 8425269 puts to rest the other claims < those claims are pretty silly .
Sadly the patent office collects all the initial fees and maintenance fees , however in the end they really don't do a lot for patent holders.

Last edited:

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
You mean the Edsel.

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Nope....I mean a 24' jet boat that tracks a straight line without needing constant course correction and doesn't wiggle when crossing a wake at a 45 degree angle....that would be a Tesla not an Edsel in my book

Cobra Jet Steering LLC

Jetboaters Admiral
Vendor
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
I see It may surprise you to learn that they are already out there.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
This is a great discussion! But I have to agree, and laugh, Articulating keel is pure marketing IMO. And any discussion that it is a keel and not a rudder, well, not very well versed in boating. Has anyone ever heard of a trawler or a tug? Those boats have extended keels with a rudder attached to it...just like this contraption that is now presented by Yamaha. But Yamaha has two jet nozzles on either side, that is the only difference...and that the steering of that rudder is done by pushrod from a nozzle. I gotta tell you, I LOVE the idea of rack and pinion steering, and that would be an easy and doable mod to our boats! Check this out...
images-1.jpeg fulldisplace.jpg
you can find a keel line rudder in everything from planing hulls to displacement hulls...it ain't nuthin' new. Combining it with twin jets, that is different, but that is still probably not new.

Williamsone46

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XD
Boat Length
@Williamsone46, IIRC you're one of the lucky few to have experienced it firsthand. What's your takeaway on the 3/4 turn v 1.5 turn changeover (pros/cons)?
It didn't seem to be as big a difference as it sounds on paper. Someone had to point it out to me while on the test drive before I even noticed. I can see it being a big deal to someone who likes to drive more aggressive like high speed tight radius turns, etc. To me the rack and pinion is leaps and bounds better for just how much easier it is to turn. I would trade 3/4 turn vs 1.5 turn any day for that reason alone.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
It didn't seem to be as big a difference as it sounds on paper. Someone had to point it out to me while on the test drive before I even noticed. I can see it being a big deal to someone who likes to drive more aggressive like high speed tight radius turns, etc. To me the rack and pinion is leaps and bounds better for just how much easier it is to turn. I would trade 3/4 turn vs 1.5 turn any day for that reason alone.
I have to think that the change in ratio is just a result of adding the rack to it. But I am glad to hear you like it, and honestly, I think this is great! I am really wondering why some ingenious guy didn't add this as an aftermarket mod before Yamaha did, because this would have been an easy thing to do I think, and solve the pull and pressure issue that the boat experiences so often. I am going to have to go drive one!

Zarrella

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited
Boat Length
A Rudder in "15....What's next a prop on the "16's??

maboat

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
The rack-and-pinion steering is no big deal. Its just a different way to convert rotational motion into lateral motion. The previous style uses a worm gear. Neither one is inherently better or worse than the other. They are just different with pro's and con's to each

One difference with rack-and-pinon is that it give you more feedback. This may or may not be preferential, depending on the individual driver.

"Rack-and-pinion" per se has nothing to do with making the steering easier. However, they apparently decided to modify the gear ratio too. More turns of the steering wheel to get the same distance in lateral motion means its a smaller gear. Its equally possible to change the gear ratio in the traditional worm gear mechanism to use more turns lock-to-lock and it would be easier to turn but with less feedback than rack-and-pinion.

txav8r

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
NA
Describe feedback @maboat , I see feedback as resistance. The resistance is a byproduct that I personally would eliminate if I could...it is pressure on the wheel for a period of time that wears on you. I am not certain as to whether the worm drive gearing or the rack and pinion gearing would be more or less, but I was assuming that what we had, with the inherent pressure when countering waves/wind, would be less with rack and pinion...maybe not?

davel501

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I wonder if someone will come up with a kit to swap the rudder for Cobras or Thrust Vectors. More rudder and spring loaded could make it safer while preserving jet boat steering at speed. That keel might let you turn even harder by preventing the slide.