• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Final Word on Ethanol & Boats!?!?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
First of all I'm not an expert on the alcohol in gas debate, but I find it hard to understand how one side says E85 is like rocket fuel, and one side says E10 kills your power. I would think that alcohol in general would have the same power producing ability regardless of the ratio it is mixed at? Now power is only one aspect of the discussion. I can also see that alcohol might produce more power, but require more of it to do so...thus mileage per gallon goes down? Perhaps this is where things are getting mixed up/confusing?

My understanding is we introduced alcohol to reduce our ever growing dependence on foreign oil (arab countries). Since it is in much of what we consume now, hard to argue that we haven't succeeded in that regard-unless it takes more than a gallon of E10 to make a gallon of E10?
@Julian the difference between 10% ethanol (think of your favorite foo-foo craft beer) and 85% ethanol:
upload_2018-8-1_20-26-38.png
can be like.. the difference between "chair" and "electric chair", lol.
Okay, maybe I'm exaggerating a bit.
But, take it from someone who would know! lolol

--

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

sajprice2022

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Sorry to revive this thread but I was doing some research on this myself since my sales rep said run ethanol free gas...pulled the owners manual and it says its fine to run ethanol as long as it does not exceed 10%.....soooo thats what im going to do.
Screenshot 2024-06-13 at 5.39.38 PM.png

David Martin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Been using ethanol in all my boats since 2005 when is was started. Owned/ boating for 44 years............Carb, TBI, Multi-port never had a gas related problem.......BUT I have always used gas Stabilizer every tank fill up.......don't want to know home many Gal's I've used over the years. It protects fuel for up to 24 months. Never went more than 6 months so I can't give a real world testimony on the 24 month protection.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Sorry to revive this thread but I was doing some research on this myself since my sales rep said run ethanol free gas...pulled the owners manual and it says its fine to run ethanol as long as it does not exceed 10%.....soooo thats what im going to do.
View attachment 221750
If all you have access to is ethanol laced fuel then just be sure to use a stabilizer as @David Martin states. When I was in a position where I did not have access to non ethanol fuel I always treated my gasoline with Star Tron.

You can find it at most auto parts stores, Walmart or Amazon.

I never thought ethanol fuel by itself was a problem until I lost a fuel pressure regulator in one my fuel injected dirt bikes around 2011. The water in the ethanol (water bonds instantly with alcohol) destroyed the pressure regulator, which cost me a day of riding with one of my oldest friends, after that happened I ran Star Tron religiously and never had a problem. I’ve seen so many carbs on dirt bikes and other engines wrecked / clogged due to untreated ethanol laced fuel.

Now that I have access to non ethanol free gasoline that’s what I run in my boat, dirt bikes, and landscaping equipment. I start using Amsoil fuel stabilizer in the non ethanol gas for the boat in the last part of the season before the winter lay up but not during the active season. The other engines I mentioned get stabilized non ethanol fuel all the time since that fuel sits a lot. The other thing you can do for your small gas engines is to use steel storage containers to prevent the lighter ends of the fuel evaporating through the plastic. If your boat is going to be stored for a while leave it with the tank full as well to keep the vapor to a minimum.

Fun fact, E15 is illegal to use in marine applications.

anmut

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
View attachment 221750
I've been running 87 in my boat every summer for four years, no issues. I fill with non-ethanol for winter storage and add gas treatment.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This is as bad as “what oil should I use” 🤦🏻‍♂️
I used the blue stuff. How long before my boat blows up? Am I safe to run the circumference of the equator with an extra quart I added? I used wd40 for the spark plugs, so I think the boat should last to within 23.7 nautical miles from the finish, but what oar should I use to make it to the finish line?

@zipper has it right, get 2 sailboats, that way you can use one while doing R&R on the other, and a dinghy and a jet boat for when there's no wind.