• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Post up your funny MEMES (Nothing Political Please)

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I was always a guy that thought the metric system was stupid.....Then I started wood working, and I gotta say I've literally thought about converting all my measuring to metric system for wood working. Until you start trying to add fractions or converting fractions to decimals or the opposite then you won't appreciate the simplicity of the metric system. I have 2 tape measures that are metric and I did do a project or two where I only used metric numbers. So much easier.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I am the same @BigN8 . Used it in my trade and really grew to appreaciate it.

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’m not making this an us vs the rest of the World thing but metric dies have advantages. And I totally disagree with that date pyramid. Doesn’t make any sense. Month is smallest number, day is next largest, then year. That’s the way it should be. Everything else feels backards

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I was always a guy that thought the metric system was stupid.....Then I started wood working, and I gotta say I've literally thought about converting all my measuring to metric system for wood working. Until you start trying to add fractions or converting fractions to decimals or the opposite then you won't appreciate the simplicity of the metric system. I have 2 tape measures that are metric and I did do a project or two where I only used metric numbers. So much easier.

Agreed with some of the woodworking, as I also have tapes, squares & other assorted bits, due to building a few things from plans that were in metric. that calculator has a huge assortment of things I use it for, like material calculation for mulch, concrete, stone, etc and it happens to have a fraction calculator that can be configured with multiple rounding options, depending on your needs. I first tried it out due to the ease of its cut calculation option for setting up materials lists, and I keep finding new uses of all the options there.

Not sure if they make an iPhone version, but it seems likely.

Imperial measurements seem to have more options for finer measurement than is readily available for metric, but that would likely change if metric was universally adopted. I have no idea what's next after mm, but I can easily grasp the finer gradations of 3/4, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, 1/64. Those simply don't readily exist in such fine detail for metric, but depending on the use, you can tailor your needs to either, unless an industry demands finer detail - at which point it would seem Imperial is the option.

Somehow, they need to figure out a measuring tape that can handle the decimal system. Calipers are great for precise measurements, but a 12' calipers gets cumbersome in the pocket 😄

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

Agreed with some of the woodworking, as I also have tapes, squares & other assorted bits, due to building a few things from plans that were in metric. that calculator has a huge assortment of things I use it for, like material calculation for mulch, concrete, stone, etc and it happens to have a fraction calculator that can be configured with multiple rounding options, depending on your needs. I first tried it out due to the ease of its cut calculation option for setting up materials lists, and I keep finding new uses of all the options there.

Not sure if they make an iPhone version, but it seems likely.

Imperial measurements seem to have more options for finer measurement than is readily available for metric, but that would likely change if metric was universally adopted. I have no idea what's next after mm, but I can easily grasp the finer gradations of 3/4, 1/2, 1/4, 1/8, 1/16, 1/32, 1/64. Those simply don't readily exist in such fine detail for metric, but depending on the use, you can tailor your needs to either, unless an industry demands finer detail - at which point it would seem Imperial is the option.

Somehow, they need to figure out a measuring tape that can handle the decimal system. Calipers are great for precise measurements, but a 12' calipers gets cumbersome in the pocket 😄
Having dealt with jetting motorcycle carbs, the smaller measurements in the metric scale are done in hundredths of mm’s. For instance, a “main” jet may be a 150, and that is 150 hundredths of a mm, or 1.5mm’s The same is true with pilot jets, like a 45 which is 45 one hundredths 0.45 mm, choke jets, air jets, bypass jets etc…. The same measurement scale is also applied to the width of the straight of the jet needle which controls about 70% of the idle mixture, and the pilot jet is used to ”feather” in the the final mix along with the fuel screw (two stroke carbs) or air screws ( four stroke carbs) About the time I got really good at jetting a flat slide FCR carburetor I bought a fuel injected bike 🤷🏼‍♂️. It was a great exercise and I learned a lot which led me to basically having to only change the jet needle when going from 3300’ elevation in the high desert where I rode to 9000’ elevation in the high sierra’s where I rode in the summer when the desert was Africa hot. Then all that was required was to feather in the idle mix by adjusting the air screw which increased or decreased the amount of air available for the idle mix.

Base 10 seems easier on the surface, but once you learn how to work with fractions, just like you learn to work with base 10, its easy and natural. Half of 3/4“ is 3/8th” just double the denominator etc…

Ask most people around the world what the date is and they will say, for instance, October 16th, 2023. The only people I’ve heard say the date, 16 October 2023 are military people or shows… which brings me to the topic of the other thread I was just looking at, what are you watching on TV, Steve Canyon its on Prime.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Having dealt with jetting motorcycle carbs, the smaller measurements in the metric scale are done in hundredths of mm’s. For instance, a “main” jet may be a 150, and that is 150 hundredths of a mm, or 1.5mm’s The same is true with pilot jets, like a 45 which is 45 one hundredths 0.45 mm, choke jets, air jets, bypass jets etc…. The same measurement scale is also applied to the width of the straight of the jet needle which controls about 70% of the idle mixture, and the pilot jet is used to ”feather” in the the final mix along with the fuel screw (two stroke carbs) or air screws ( four stroke carbs) About the time I got really good at jetting a flat slide FCR carburetor I bought a fuel injected bike 🤷🏼‍♂️. It was a great exercise and I learned a lot which led me to basically having to only change the jet needle when going from 3300’ elevation in the high desert where I rode to 9000’ elevation in the high sierra’s where I rode in the summer when the desert was Africa hot. Then all that was required was to feather in the idle mix by adjusting the air screw which increased or decreased the amount of air available for the idle mix.

Base 10 seems easier on the surface, but once you learn how to work with fractions, just like you learn to work with base 10, its easy and natural. Half of 3/4“ is 3/8th” just double the denominator etc…

Ask most people around the world what the date is and they will say, for instance, October 16th, 2023. The only people I’ve heard say the date, 16 October 2023 are military people or shows… which brings me to the topic of the other thread I was just looking at, what are you watching on TV, Steve Canyon its on Prime.
Ya know, I never even considered decimal measurements to be metric! I think this is what the kids are calling "I was today years old when..." 😄

I still wonder if there's tape measures in tenths or hundredths of mm. Every one I've had only has cm or mm. I suspect elsewhere they have them, since a set of plans I was using had .5 mm measurements, but I just haven't seen one. That was frustrating to eyeball, because building a chair with leg dimensions needing to be eyeballed was not confidence inspiring, to say the least.

chileanJK

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR192
Boat Length
Here we use metric for all measurements, but I use amazon to buy tools, so I have a mix of metric and imperial things!! with a good caliper can measure to 10th of a millimeter less than a millimeter is the micrometer (1000th of a millimeter) and then comes the nanometer but I think you need a
microscope to measure it.

Did you know that Thomas Jefferson, first secretary of state, order to implement the metric system, so he contact Joseph Dombey to import the metric system, when he was bringing the standard back to USA, Caribbean pirates attacked his ship and the cooper bar of 1 meter and a standard kilogram, where lost and you are still using imperial hahaha!!

zpaul

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
It's pretty interesting that a lot of US made cars actually use metric bolts. F150 is one of them.
So it just makes it more expensive to to have both sets of tools.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I’m not making this an us vs the rest of the World thing but metric dies have advantages. And I totally disagree with that date pyramid. Doesn’t make any sense. Month is smallest number, day is next largest, then year. That’s the way it should be. Everything else feels backards
Days are the smallest duration, then months, then years. Doing it based on the size of the number is silly (I was raised with it, but when I go to Europe there really is no defense for MDY. DMY is logical....)

YamahaForMe

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Either is fine with me, but be consistent. If you are using 17/10/2023 as short hand, then you need to use it in long form as well: 17 October 2023.

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'm also ambivalent on the date format - use both and sometimes screw myself up when I see 8/10/23. Did I mean August 10th or October 8th!
@drewkaree one mm is about 1/32nd of an inch (1.25/32). I have difficulty reading 16ths some times! Can't imagine reading 64ths on a tape, let alone tenths of a mm.
Here's where it gets nuts IMO - engineers and surveyors measure in decimal feet. So 1'9" would be 1.75'. If you want a decimal tape measure that reads in feet, I have an old one around here somewhere!

msavold

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Made me laugh and think about when I see (usually) architectural and (occasionally) engineering drawings with dimensions to the millimeter. Hell, when it comes to site services if the contractor gets it to plus or minus 6" (that's +/-152.4mm! :p) I'm ecstatic!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Days are the smallest duration, then months, then years. Doing it based on the size of the number is silly (I was raised with it, but when I go to Europe there really is no defense for MDY. DMY is logical....)
YMD (2023-10-25) sorts best chronologically when used as leading information on filenames in a folder. I started naming files this way as a PM, and it's made my life significantly easier.

I sign documents DMY with an abbreviated month.....25 Oct 2023. Easy way to know if I signed them or not. Just weird enough that nobody else does it.

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
YMD (2023-10-25) sorts best chronologically when used as leading information on filenames in a folder. I started naming files this way as a PM, and it's made my life significantly easier.

I sign documents DMY with an abbreviated month.....25 Oct 2023. Easy way to know if I signed them or not. Just weird enough that nobody else does it.
I do the exact same things.... See we do think alike on some things :)