• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

SeaDoo boats to return to market!

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
That makes complete sense on space savings. The outboard does change the whole layout of the stern of the boat. I had not thought of it that way. But fuel efficiency would only be worse on that outboard if you were running it WOT. As it takes plenty to push his 24' Tri up to 30. But cruising, that's a different story. Pushing around 15 people for weeks on his 35 gallon tank. It literally sips fuel. But obviously too many variables to compare.

In the fishing boat world, aluminum boats from 16-24' long will weigh much less than a comparable fiberglass boat. In fact, larger HP outboards is what has allowed some boat MFG's to go back to making fiberglass fishing boats, as they are quite a bit heavier in comparison.

The only reason I bring up Pavati in my previous statement, is those boats are overbuilt. Sort of like the aluminum river boats. Much heavier metal, and much more put into the strength of the hull and welds. They are true works of art for sure.
As much as the cool factor would be on a twin jet tri-toon with a REALLY open rear layout, I can't imagine the racket a pair of 1.8's would make inside giant aluminum tubes! Sound deadening would have to be on point to not be on the wrong side of unbearable.

I had no idea aluminum was that much lighter in final construction than fiberglass. I'm going to have to dig more into the construction of the two hulls. Has to be added material from the fiberglass to maintain rigidity that is causing the weight gain. Everything else in the word seems composites are lighter. Airplanes, Bicycles, motorcycles, cars, etc. It has to be something with the spars are laid out, general fitup practices, or something like that.

Buddy with the 24' Berkshire typically runs at or close to WOT at around 30-35mph. He thinks 20 is too slow. He usually beats me to the hangout spot by a minute or two on a 10mi stretch. I can hit 42, but can't maintain a 35mph average it seems. I scrub speed badly on turns, and have to throttle up/down along the way for wakes/waves/traffic. His is like a tractor of "set it and forget it" and it runs that same 35mph if it's turned over hard in heavy wakes or slipping along straight in calm water. I'm certain his love for WOT usage is what causes him checkbook pain at the gas pumps. If he slowed down just a shade (high 20's) he would most likely sip fuel instead of gulp it.

Total get the Pavati overbuilt mentality. They're using 1/4 in thick sheets for the hull and tower. I totally get why those boats are on triple axle trailers.

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@biffdotorg

I swear Google hears/reads everything. Look what just came across my news feed this morning.

@zipper might be interested in this too.

Rgardner928

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Speedster
Boat Length
Would love a new model Seadoo. Apparently it's true they are getting back into boats...but not the same style they use to.

Their words "But this time, it isn’t selling jet-driven boats used for pursuits such as waterskiing. Rather, it is sticking to aluminum recreational boats"

Read more here...

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Would love a new model Seadoo. Apparently it's true they are getting back into boats...but not the same style they use to.

Their words "But this time, it isn’t selling jet-driven boats used for pursuits such as waterskiing. Rather, it is sticking to aluminum recreational boats"

Read more here...
That was the announcement 2 years ago that started this rumor. (Note the date on the article)

The old SeaDoo owners saw it as the potential for a new jet boat. When in actuality it was BRP’s way of diversification by buying an aluminum boat MFG and Pontoon MFG. They thought it would compliment their Evinrude line of motors. Which failed as since then, they have shut down Evinrude.

Beachbummer

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
How strange to the public eye they did not even try to sell Envinrude, they just shut it down.That was weird.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
To be fair, Evinrude got blind sided by the Canadian version of the epa with draconian emissions requirements which made continuing their G2 line of two stroke outboards. A tragedy really, the G2 outboards are very trick.

Not unlike what the PRK ( peoples republik of Kalifornia) just announced they are doing with emissions requirements on outboards. The new emissions that the PRK has announced are: Outboards under 50 hp=30% reduction in emissions, Outboards over 50 hp…..=70% reduction in emissions. These new emission standards are to go into affect in either 2025 or 2027. The standards that went into affect in 2021 are why you cannot buy the 210 FSH models in ca, and I believe many other models of Yamaha jet boats.

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I can totally imagine how much of a game changer it would be to put a swim deck on the back of an open stern jet propelled pontoon boat! Holy Cow....that would make the ultimate party platform!!! I am not a CAD person....so no laughing at this.....but imagine a flow from the main level of the pontoon down to a water deck. You might have to make it raiseable due to water flow while running??? But it would take the "caged" deck and open it up to the water!!!!

1621343187258.png

Bennington tries to go there, but it isn't at the water level!
1621343410816.png

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
How strange to the public eye they did not even try to sell Envinrude, they just shut it down.That was weird.
Back in the day when BRP bought Evinrude, they were not looking for the outboard division necessarily. They got exactly what they wanted out of Evinrude. They got the cleanest and most efficient 2-stroke technology available at the time in E-Tec and they got the dealer network to sell other BRP products into. Those two things were worth the price of admission. As now their snowmobiles are class leading in emissions. And many of those dealers are full on CanAm dealers for four seasons of toys.

When it came time to liquidate Evinrude, there is literally nothing left to sell as they are not going to give up the network or the intellectual property. That's why Yamaha snowmobiles and Arctic Cat snowmobiles are great bedmates. As neither of them have any "special sauce technology" and both of them have crumbling dealer networks that are pissed at snow seasons, and spring order only snowmobiles.

As far as a jet in pontoon, no thank you. The best part about the Yamaha power Tritoon at the end of our dock is the noise level and fuel efficiency. I would never trade that for a swimplatform. Most pontoons and tritoons are too high out of the water to develop a good swim platform at the waters edge. And they can already put swimdecks around an outboard. So there is too little to gain for such a loss in cruising comfort. Let's just say, tooning is a different animal, and if I wanted a performance toon, I would be looking at big bore Yamaha outboards North of 400hp.

Last edited:

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I can totally imagine how much of a game changer it would be to put a swim deck on the back of an open stern jet propelled pontoon boat! Holy Cow....that would make the ultimate party platform!!! I am not a CAD person....so no laughing at this.....but imagine a flow from the main level of the pontoon down to a water deck. You might have to make it raiseable due to water flow while running??? But it would take the "caged" deck and open it up to the water!!!!

View attachment 150462

Bennington tries to go there, but it isn't at the water level!
View attachment 150463
I cannot tell you the number of beers I've drank while floating behind a tritoon and a jet tied off to one another and discussing how to make that happen. I think with some clever packaging you could throw a jet in each of the outer toons (make them U shaped instead of O shaped to start), then fuel tank up front in the center toon for balance. TONS of room to stop that middle toon a little short, and have maybe two steps down to a GIANT party platform on the back. Then get @Sotally Tober to throw a stripper pole on there, and it's REALLY a party!

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
The best part about the Yamaha power Tritoon at the end of our dock is the noise level and fuel efficiency.
Yamaha would do well to spend the time they've invested making their outboards quiet, and do the same for their jets. No real reason you couldn't quiet them down significantly. As for MPG.....I think a game changing water level, unobstructed swim platform with full width integration to the main deck would be a TOTAL game changer to the toon market and would sell like hot cakes! People wouldn't care if they spend a little more on gas if their party platform is that much more enjoyable. Heck....if I was only lake boating, I'd buy one in a heartbeat!

Sure, if you want to build one with a hidden outboard under a cover...that might work....but would almost certainly mess up the open stern concept.

As for BRP back in boats.....in aluminum jets....that is interesting

2kwik4u

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Julian Hidden outboard has been tried before. Def NOT going to be teh same as our totally awesome party toon!

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

112Vulcan

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I use to work for Bombardier in the early and mid 90's. I wouldn't put anything past them or their pocket book. They have a very innovative executive staff that is constantly looking for ways to grow but have also had several downfalls, i.e. when the purchased and brought back the short lived Celebrity Boats to name one. However, the top level players also share in the quest for fun and adventure. With the market the way it is now, I wouldn't be surprised if something came to fruition.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I cannot tell you the number of beers I've drank while floating behind a tritoon and a jet tied off to one another and discussing how to make that happen. I think with some clever packaging you could throw a jet in each of the outer toons (make them U shaped instead of O shaped to start), then fuel tank up front in the center toon for balance. TONS of room to stop that middle toon a little short, and have maybe two steps down to a GIANT party platform on the back. Then get @Sotally Tober to throw a stripper pole on there, and it's REALLY a party!
This is insightful and already in production partially. (just not the jet part) The Bennington Tritoon on our dock as a larger center toon, which is actually oval shaped. The object is to allow the boat to get on plane, ride smoother and provide maximum buoyancy in the middle. This allows it to bank corners like a boat with a hull.

it is a crazy feeling when you lay it over in a corner, and it banks hard. It's not like the old pontoons that throw folks side to side as they corner flat. This one corners really well. Now if we only had a pair of Merc 450r motors on it! Our dealer just sold a 10' wide Bennington at 30' long and a pair of Yamaha 425hp outboards. It will pull 65mph with 13 people on board! OOF!!

Last edited:

AmesJainchill

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
No if we only had a pair of Merc 450r motors on it! Our dealer just sold a 10' wide Bennington at 30' long and a pair of Yamaha 425hp outboards. It will pull 65mph with 13 people on board! OOF!!

Reminds me of this Crest 'toon I saw at one of my usual food spots a couple years back! I just imagine this thing flying across the lake and some guy peeling back his toupee as he's driving it! 😄
1621457414530.png
1621457448352.png

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
quarter million dollar grandpa barges, create a totally new impression when you have those two on the back! Each of those motors is worth more than most of our Yamaha boats!

the MfM

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Other
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Y’all started a jetoon thread and didn’t tell me?

It makes so much sense!

Joe Starbuck

Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
OK, BRP has announced the Seadoo Switch line of boats, in lieu of apologies you can make a donation to the Red Cross.