• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Show us what you see!!!

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
@GiddYupJoe Because of this trip that my wife and I took to Arizona we've decided to head back in the same direction for a family summer vacation with the camper in tow. We plan to explore a little of the 4 corners region in each of those states. We'll be sure to see the Grand Canyon and take the kids to the Sedona area as well. Really looking forward to going back there to spend more time.
Be sure Zion is on your list too. We liked it more than the grand canyon.

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@GiddYupJoe Because of this trip that my wife and I took to Arizona we've decided to head back in the same direction for a family summer vacation with the camper in tow. We plan to explore a little of the 4 corners region in each of those states. We'll be sure to see the Grand Canyon and take the kids to the Sedona area as well. Really looking forward to going back there to spend more time.
Be sure to visit Mesa Verde N.P. with the kids, it's worth the time,

Scottintexas

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Be sure Zion is on your list too. We liked it more than the grand canyon.
@PEARCE
and if you go to Zion you must walk the creek to where the canyon narrows (monitor for flash floods), I was able to hike it from the North to the South and we camped overnight in the Canyon, it can easily be hiked in a full day or you can hike it from the parking lot up river to the narrows and then turn around, it's a neat experience,

zipper

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@zipper How do y'all like your Subaru? Does it hold up well? Maintenance cost high? We keep cars a long time and put lots of miles on them. Mostly highways back and forth to work.
It has been a good car. The only maintenance, other than oil changes, has been brake pads and rotors and 1 lower ball joint. We did have a chipmunk chew it's way into the car at a vent under the rear bumper cover 5 years ago and do $5k in damage to the interior. Insurance covered the costs of repair by the dealer. It is a 2013 Outback 4cyl. with about 80k miles and the AWD with good snow tires can get up my driveway in the winter every time. She traded a 2011 1500 Silverado for it, when gas prices were higher. It has been very reliable.

J-RAD

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
If you want a good hiking camping adventure look into Mooney Falls, Havasu Falls, and Little Navajo Falls. It's in the same region although it's my understanding it's more if a hiking trip. I've not done it, but it's on my bucket list.

If you make it into southern Utah, there's Zion's, Arches, Bryce Canyon, canyonlands... on second thought, you might as well skip all that and just drag the boat to Lake Powell... 😎

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Thanks for all the suggestions guys. We plan to sit down and map it out to see what is doable in the time frame we'll have to do it in.

Liveto99

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
@zipper How do y'all like your Subaru? Does it hold up well? Maintenance cost high? We keep cars a long time and put lots of miles on them. Mostly highways back and forth to work.
I had a 2012 Subaru Legacy and put 100K on it loved it only did brakes and oil, had CVT tranny and I would get over 30 mpg.
i drove it hard but always used synthetic oil.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I had a 2012 Subaru Legacy and put 100K on it loved it only did brakes and oil, had CVT tranny and I would get over 30 mpg.
i drove it hard but always used synthetic oil.
My current commuting beater is a 2010 Nissan Sentra with a CVT. It currently has 231k on the ticker on its second transmission. The first one lasted till 180k and it started to not like going in reverse. I got a brand new unit straight out of Japan from the dealership. All I do is keep synthetic oil in it with a clean air filter and tires. My commute is 43 miles each way mostly on the highway taking anywhere from 45 mins to 1 hr 15mins Monday-Friday. Hoping to find something closer come May when our daughter will get it for her first car to get her through her last 2 years of H.S. and into college. We'll see how long it last and if she can keep it in one piece.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
After such a nice warm October on the Lake, it has been a cold November on the hard, single digits and teens for nightime lows. Jumped right into Winter.
20191112_205045.jpg

Putting a dent in the 12 cords I stacked in the woodshed.

20191116_085056.jpg

It is supposed to warm up, relatively, next week so I can put a few more cords up. But until then the Valley is blanketed with snow.

20191116_095030.jpg

Last edited:

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
15739492478606840504697787836690.jpg
Finally back to the boat and our happy place for a short one night weekend. The big girl was a little dirty after not being able to be here in over a month. She's all clean now! She's ready to go for a good run in the morning after breakfast. All is good except for the water line going into the dock fridge busted at the inline water filter. Just need to replace the filter. We had a few hard freezes, into the low 20's, this past week is what did it. I need to figure out a way to insulate it somehow. Ice supply on the dock is very important!

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
View attachment 108170
Finally back to the boat and our happy place for a short one night weekend. The big girl was a little dirty after not being able to be here in over a month. She's all clean now! She's ready to go for a good run in the morning after breakfast. All is good except for the water line going into the dock fridge busted at the inline water filter. Just need to replace the filter. We had a few hard freezes, into the low 20's, this past week is what did it. I need to figure out a way to insulate it somehow. Ice supply on the dock is very important!
Living in the frozen North this time of year, any water lines that come within 3' of the surface of the ground get heat traced, taped. All the water hydrants for the animals in our barns are heat traced to prevent the hydrant from freezing on very cold nights. And then a wrap of foam insulation over it all keeps the heat where it is needed. The heat tape can be unplugged when not needed. And the filter can be protected from freezing with the tape also. Stay away from heat lamps in an enclosed area, they can start fires. You don't need another one of those. Good Luck, envious you can stay on a body of water that remains liquid during the cold Winter months.

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Found these, during this Summer's garage cleanout, in a box long forgotten. These two Nascar greats, I put togrther in 1973 at the age of 12, 47 years ago. The Petty model kit was bought in Melbourne Fla. days after the 1973 Daytona 500 that my dad took me to. Petty did not win that race, but he was always my favorite driver then.

20191116_115517.jpg

20191116_115920.jpg

A few other kits from the same timeframe.

20191116_120154.jpg

After that race, we were walking thru the pit area and past the petty car when a crew member peeled this sticker off the car cover, cars were hauled on an open trailer back then, crumpled it up and discarded on the ground. I pounced on it.

20191117_071639.jpg

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
All is good except for the water line going into the dock fridge busted at the inline water filter. Just need to replace the filter. We had a few hard freezes, into the low 20's, this past week is what did it. I need to figure out a way to insulate it somehow. Ice supply on the dock is very important!
Not sure what size line that is that busted, and this doesn't really solve the problem, but it can give you a bit of leeway that just might help avoid this in the future - replace the line with PEX. It will expand a fair bit before bursting, and it's got a "memory", so it'll revert to its former size. Can't remember offhand which one is more expandable, PEX-A or PEX-C, but those are the two that you should be able to easily find locally - I've got PEX-A in our vacation place in central Wisconsin, which will see far colder temps than your area.

PEARCE

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@drewkaree What actually broke during the freeze was the plastic inline water filter. All of my water lines are either steel braided or pex. Even on the boat all of the plumbing lines are pex. I thought there would have been enough heat coming from the back of the fridge to keep it above freezing, but being a new fridge I guess it's too efficient to be doing that yet.
20191116_165925.jpg20191116_165801.jpg
I plan to at least wrap the filter in insulation to try and prevent this from happening again. I might follow @zipper 's recommendation and add some heat tape too.

Dean P

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Chaparral
Year
Boat Model
VRX
Boat Length
Went to a "Friendsgiving" Saturday night. Here's a shot of our backyard (and a couple dogs too!)

IMG_0957.jpg

zipper

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boston Whaler
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
A little warm up is in the air. The snow on the roof started it's slow slide off the roof yesterday. This morning when I left to do chores, I turned around and saw this.

20191121_074118.jpg

Came back an hour later and it had broken off.

20191121_083252.jpg

Now the rest needs to come off.

20191119_210207.jpg

Edit: this was 1pm

20191121_124711.jpg

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
A little warm up is in the air. The snow on the roof started it's slow slide off the roof yesterday. This morning when I left to do chores, I turned around and saw this.

View attachment 108308

Came back an hour later and it had broken off.

View attachment 108309

Now the rest needs to come off.

View attachment 108310
Makes me cold just looking at it!!! LOL I'll be in Pittsburgh the week of Dec 9th....please arrange for a heat wave that week as my "winter" coat is not really going to cut it for an up north winter!!!