• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

What might be in store for 2023?

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Dual 150s gets you home on a blown motor. A single 300 has a search party for you.
While I don't disagree, I see a lot of folks now days going for the single big v-6 or v-8 instead. I see lot of boats optioned with twins beginning with dual 200's.

Jim

Sean R

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
Those sound like excuses, college, ac, kitchen? Who even eats anymore? You don't need a kitchen. You NEED a new boat.
Actually a new Silverado then a new boat, trucks older. 😎

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
While I don't disagree, I see a lot of folks now days going for the single big v-6 or v-8 instead. I see lot of boats optioned with twins beginning with dual 200's.

Jim
Probably like not minding the missing spare tire in the new car because they never had a flat tire?

seanmclean

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Jim
I see plenty of twin 150s on the bay here, rare to see an outboard boat longer than 24' with a single. Even at 24', probably 50/50 single vs twins.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length

Jim
Here is the main difference in outboard rigging. Inland and offshore. That's the main thing that will determine if a boat builder goes one way or the other. And I agree with you in our region (Minnesota). We see nothing but single outboards all the way up into the 400 class on fishing boats and pontoons. (minus the 9.9hp kicker motors) That being said, the only ones going with more than one, are looking for more than what a single outboard can put out. But it's rare.

Now the opposite is true for offshore boats. If you spend any time on Youtube channels like Wavy Boats etc, you will hardly ever see an offshore designed boat with a single engine or single outboard. And it's not just lack of HP, it is for the fault tolerance reason of multiple motors. The very few with single outboards are usually tender boats, or inland boats that someone took offshore.

(and yes, I am addicted to boat watching youtube channels. I can't get enough of the big Midnight Express boats with 5-450R motors)

Last edited:

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Here is the main difference in outboard rigging. Inland and offshore. That's is the main thing that will determine if a boat builder goes one way or the other. And I agree with you in our region (Minnesota). We see nothing but single outboards all the way up into the 400 class on fishing boats and pontoons. (minus the 9.9hp kicker motors) That being said, the only ones going with more than one, are looking for more than what a single outboard can put out. But it's rare.

Now the opposite is true for offshore boats. If you spend any time on Youtube channels like Wavy Boats etc, you will hardly ever see an offshore designed boat with a single engine or single outboard. And it's not just lack of HP, it is for the fault tolerance reason of multiple motors. The very few with single outboards are usually tender boats, or inland boats that someone took offshore.

(and yes, I am addicted to boat watching youtube channels. I can't get enough of the big Midnight Express boats with 5-450R motors)
I’m with you on youtube watching … those big Midnight express and others just own haul over even on rougher days with the right person at the helm.

So those lake boats with the kickers, they not only have those for trolling, but that also gives them some motive power in the event that the big boy motor decides to go on strike (50 points if you can get my reference there). A friend of mine on the west coast takes his pilot house Parker wayyyyyy off shore with the single 200 Yamaha motor. One time they were wayyy out there and the fuel pump said no more and they had to get a tow back in. Personally I think he’s a bit crazy going with the single engine, but he is prepared for such an occurrence. One of the things I wanted in a boat was twin engines for reliability, to me its kinda like getting a truck with four wheel drive, the first time you get stuck and you just twist a knob and drive away it is worth every penning of the $4K or so you paid for It. I do not want to be at the mercy of others if an ignition box decides its done with life, especially when no one else is around.

Also, I have plans to tackle some of the bigger lakes in the Dakota’s and MT, Ohae for example is 261 miles long and connects the state capitals of North and South Dakota. I think there is maybe three, more likely two places to get fuel on the water on Lake Oahe, one for sure is just south of Mobridge, the other is 150 miles away in Bismarck. So, two engines is greatly desired. I have seen several other boats over on the east side that are running twins, which is where I usually see the only other CC boats, although my one neighbor has two Boston Whalers, a DC and a CC, both have twin outboards on them. He obviously is making some good money, but he also has little time to use either boat. Keeping the big water in mind of the big lakes, I’m engaged in a frequent mental karate match about upgrading to the 252 FSH with its taller free board and more offshore orientated hull.

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
The irony of this conversation. I was just wasting time on TikTok, and some dude posted a quick clip from the dock of a Merc Testing facility in Wisconsin. 19' Lund fishing boats with a pair of full sized 4 stroke outboards. Tiller boats!!!

Not only is there some engineering there for a sub 20' lund to be able to handle the weight of two four strokes on that transom, but also from Merc to setup a tiller with two outboards. They were not small, like 150+hp from what I could see.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The irony of this conversation. I was just wasting time on TikTok, and some dude posted a quick clip from the dock of a Merc Testing facility in Wisconsin. 19' Lund fishing boats with a pair of full sized 4 stroke outboards. Tiller boats!!!

Not only is there some engineering there for a sub 20' lund to be able to handle the weight of two four strokes on that transom, but also from Merc to setup a tiller with two outboards. They were not small, like 150+hp from what I could see.
Hot rods! First to the fishing spot! Dibs!

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Single vs twin outboards is a function of where and how one boats, as well as the age of the boat and motors. Almost all the trailerable boats I see are singles (and most in my area are center consoles and in the 20 - 24' range. Around 25' and up, the boats get heavier, the beams gets wider and these are mostly twins with each engine 200 - 300 hp.

A lot of folks run a single engine if they stay near the shore and have easy access to tow service. Other folks may run even small boats 25 - 50 miles offshore and want the redundancy of multiple motors. Some folks run 9.9 or 15 hp kickers that can also serve as a get home motor.

Bottom line, is that there is no wrong or right decision on single vs. twins, it depends on where and how one boats and the aversion to risk.

If you want to start a lively conversions, go to the Trawler Forum (where most engines are inboard diesels) and ask which is better single or twins? It turns out that with trawlers, most engine issues are related to fuel issues and really doesn't matter if one has a single or twin engine.

Jim

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
Hot rods! First to the fishing spot! Dibs!

High up on my list for a boat is a new 21' Yamaha. Also, on the list is a 19' - 20' aluminum fishing boat, so I've spent some time on the Lund, Alumacraft, and Crestliner websites and facebook pages. For a lot of folks fishing in MN, it seems to be about fishing tournaments and hole shots (to beat others to that next fishing spot.) One of Lund's current offerings is a 2175 Pro-V, 21'10" long and 2300 lb (dry weight). You can option this boat from Lund with Mercury 400XL hanging off the transom!

Jim

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
9PM on August 20th is accurate. We'll have all the info for you right here! And Yes....I'm under NDA until then....
Looking forward to it! Thanks @Julian

and the Admiral thought we were going to go out for dinner Saturday night and have drinks. :rolleyes:

The Canuck

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
9PM on August 20th is accurate. We'll have all the info for you right here! And Yes....I'm under NDA until then....
Is that eastern, central, mountain, or pacific time zone?

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
High up on my list for a boat is a new 21' Yamaha. Also, on the list is a 19' - 20' aluminum fishing boat, so I've spent some time on the Lund, Alumacraft, and Crestliner websites and facebook pages. For a lot of folks fishing in MN, it seems to be about fishing tournaments and hole shots (to beat others to that next fishing spot.) One of Lund's current offerings is a 2175 Pro-V, 21'10" long and 2300 lb (dry weight). You can option this boat from Lund with Mercury 400XL hanging off the transom!

Jim
I actually live like 35 miles from the Lund Factory in New York Mills, MN. I may have to go creeping around the factory lot with my drone in search of twin outboard spy shots! Most of us in central MN grew up in red boats. S16 with a pusher and a kicker.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Is that eastern, central, mountain, or pacific time zone?
Eastern Time.

@biffdotorg Every time I see a Lund I chuckle - "Lund" in Hindi is "Dick". An Indian friend of mine lived next door to a guy who had one. We were always chuckling about the conversations we could have....

"Would you like to ride my Lund"
"Would you lke to sit on my Lund"
"He's got a bigger Lund than I do"
"How big IS your Lund?"
"I ride my friend's Lund all the time....his is huge"
"I wish I had a Lund"
"My Lund is broken"
"My wife hates my Lund" - "I can't keep my wife off my Lund"
You can go on all night!

biffdotorg

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
Eastern Time.

@biffdotorg Every time I see a Lund I chuckle - "Lund" in Hindi is "Dick". An Indian friend of mine lived next door to a guy who had one. We were always chuckling about the conversations we could have....

"Would you like to ride my Lund"
"Would you lke to sit on my Lund"
"He's got a bigger Lund than I do"
"How big IS your Lund?"
"I ride my friend's Lund all the time....his is huge"
"I wish I had a Lund"
"My Lund is broken"
"My wife hates my Lund" - "I can't keep my wife off my Lund"
You can go on all night!

Too funny, we even had Johnson's on the back. Sorry, we got a bit off topic here.

seabrooktx

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
There is substantiated evidence that for the 2023's there will be a revised line of of 21' to a 22' boat. The new models will be named:
- 222S - Confirmed
- 222XE - Confirmed
- 222SE - Confirmed
- 222SD - Not Confirmed

The 222 revision will come with larger fuel tanks (70 gallons...NOT 90) and supposed redesigned interior. The 190 and 250/252 line remain similar from a base technical specification perspective.

Details are fuzzy on feature updates and additional details, but I'll keep looking. Don't have any data on the FSH, 25' Wake Series or 27' boats. If the 21' series has been redesigned, then my bet would be there would be a 220 (TR-1) and 222 (1.8HO) FSH coming down the pipe....but that is speculation at this point.

Last edited:

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
There is substantiated evidence that for the 2023's there will be a revised line of of 21' to a 22' boat. The new models will be named:
- 222S - Confirmed
- 222XE - Confirmed
- 222SE - Confirmed
- 222SD - Not Confirmed

The 222 revision will come with larger fuel tanks (90 gallons) and supposed redesigned interior. The 190 and 250/252 line remain similar from a base technical specification perspective.

Details are fuzzy on feature updates and additional details, but I'll keep looking. Don't have any data on the FSH, 25' Wake Series or 27' boats. If the 21' series has been redesigned, then my bet would be there would be a 220 (TR-1) and 222 (1.8HO) FSH coming down the pipe....but that is speculation at this point.
I hope there's an AR220 in the mix. All the ones you list would cost more than I want to pay for a 22' boat. A 90 gallon tank would be massive for a bow rider of this size, but just the right size for a future FSH.

Jim

adrianp89

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SE
Boat Length
- 222S - Confirmed
- 222XE - Confirmed
- 222SE - Confirmed
- 222SD - Not Confirmed

The 222 revision will come with larger fuel tanks (90 gallons) and supposed redesigned interior. The 190 and 250/252 line remain similar from a base technical specification perspective.

I could believe this except it went all downhill with a 90 gallon tank.

crains

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
255XE
Boat Length
I could believe this except it went all downhill with a 90 gallon tank.
With you... 255X has a 70 gallon tank... 90 gallon seems like a LOT for that size boat