• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Another carbon monoxide death

BigN8

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I wonder what the CO levels are in a cove with a bunch of big boats tied up all running their generators? You'd think people would be dropping like flies if this was the case. I mean I've seen a shit load of big boats tied up in party cove with everyone floating in the water and they all have their generators running.

drewkaree

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
LSENLTY Portable Carbon Monoxide Detectors, IP65 Waterproof Carbon Monoxide Detectors with CO Notification Function, 96 Hours Standby Time, CO Detector for Travel, Car, Vehicle, Aircraft, Camping Amazon.com

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I wonder what the CO levels are in a cove with a bunch of big boats tied up all running their generators? You'd think people would be dropping like flies if this was the case. I mean I've seen a shit load of big boats tied up in party cove with everyone floating in the water and they all have their generators running.
Thats why a lot of boats use diesel generators instead of gasoline generators, Diesel engines by their nature do not produce CO.

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I wonder if a solution would be to have weight sensors back there where if there was a load above XX pounds, then the engines wouldn't rev above idol. Something else to break I know, but may be better than losing the swim platforms altogether. wouldn't stop people from sitting on the seat backs, but at least its a start.
The engines would still be running and producing CO, so this isn't a solution.

Beachcampin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
The engines would still be running and producing CO, so this isn't a solution.
My understanding is that the deadly situation happens when the boat is in motion, thereby creating a vacuum in this area, so, then limiting to idol would be ok. If it needs to be a shut off, then whatever. My only point is that this solution would be preferable, to me anyway, than having personal injury lawsuits force design changes that result in losing the swim deck altogether. Hopes of changing the legal industry or jury awards are only available with legislative tort reform which, in the current political environment, is not a high priority. Its also easier for insurers to lean on manufacturers than 50 legislatures.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
My understanding is that the deadly situation happens when the boat is in motion, thereby creating a vacuum in this area, so, then limiting to idol would be ok. If it needs to be a shut off, then whatever. My only point is that this solution would be preferable, to me anyway, than having personal injury lawsuits force design changes that result in losing the swim deck altogether. Hopes of changing the legal industry or jury awards are only available with legislative tort reform which, in the current political environment, is not a high priority. Its also easier for insurers to lean on manufacturers than 50 legislatures.
Idling along is probably the most dangerous in terms of CO stationwagon effect. Less air movement would allow the idling exhaust to gather in the back of the boat. Not a bad idea though....just have the sensors alarm if there are people on those seats when the engines are running (at all). The only problems with this are: 1) these seats get wet routinely, so those sensors will take a beating 2) many people put "stuff" on those seats when running (like ballast for surfing or tubes etc), and this would cause a false alarm.

Beachcampin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Idling along is probably the most dangerous in terms of CO stationwagon effect. Less air movement would allow the idling exhaust to gather in the back of the boat. Not a bad idea though....just have the sensors alarm if there are people on those seats when the engines are running (at all). The only problems with this are: 1) these seats get wet routinely, so those sensors will take a beating 2) many people put "stuff" on those seats when running (like ballast for surfing or tubes etc), and this would cause a false alarm.
Completely forgot about the wake surfing guys. Not my use case, alas.

David Martin

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Exiting the exhaust under water like most I/O would solve the CO issue and the side benefit of this would be a much quieter boat as well.