• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Yamaha Boats featured on Today show story about Carbon Monoxide

HangOutdoors

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Um...in many states it's also illegal to be sitting back there while the boat is running....
Unfortunately that doesn't stop a good majority of people from doing it......

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I watched the video once. The 911 caller said she wasn’t wearing a life vest when she dove into the water. Would she have died from CO poisoning alone? Maybe but the autopsy indicated that she died of drowning. I’m sorry that the young lady lost her life but donning a cheap life vest is easy to do and could have made all the difference in the world.

when my adult fiends want to sit back there while underway I tell them why they shouldn’t but also make them where a life vest if they do. When they ask why I tell them it will be easier to find their bodies. Most of them choose not to sit back there after that.

Last edited:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I watched the video once. The 911 caller said she wasn’t wearing a life vest when she dove into the water. Would she have died from CO poisoning alone? Maybe but the autopsy indicated that she died of drowning. I’m sorry that the young lady lost her life but donning a cheap life vest is easy to do and could have made all the difference in the world.

when my adult fiends want to sit back there while underway I tell them why they shouldn’t but also make them where a life vest if they do. When they ask why I tell them it will be easier to find their bodies. Most of them choose not to sit back there after that.
I'm not sure the boat was underway.

dgbroyles @gmail.com

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
This seems aimed at the inexperienced boaters. Seemed they picked on Yamaha a bit. And Yamaha declined comment. But who truly let's the engine idle while you and yours kids are swimming off the swim platform. For what purpose? We always shut engine down to swim and never let people ride on swim platform under power. I don't get it. This is a no brainer, this is a danger zone!
We can all speculate, but sure seems like she was very exposed to CO, and probably got dizzy and passed out which looks like a dive into the water to the other passengers in the boat. He haven't heard from any of the passengers. And of course autopsy report shows drowning and poisoning. Tragic as it is, hope we all learn that the swim platform is off limits when idling or boat under power.

NewBoater

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
This is so sad, Do you drown instantly or float for a minute or 30 seconds? Or if you fall in unconscious do you instantly sink to the bottom? I agree captains fault and they are suing the wrong person and won’t get any $ from Yamaha. Very sorry for their loss, regardless of what happened to her I can’t even fathom something happening to my daughter on the water.

Ronnie

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I'm not sure the boat was underway.
It sounded like the boat the girl was on was adrift or at anchor, my friends want to sit on the swim deck when it’s underway. In any case she wasn’t wearing a vest when she was on the swim deck or when she jumped in the water, IMHO that’s on her (and the captain).

Last edited:

TimW451

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
One function of a catalytic converter on an automobile is to reduce CO emissions by converting it to CO2.

I wonder, and I am no engineer, but is there a way remove or convert the CO into something else or run it through a filter in the exhaust so it negates the issues? Guess electric jet boats are going to be thing someday.

InmyElement

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Thanks for the post..good reminder. When your idling you can really get a whiff of the fumes, as soon as someone says their done tubing, surfing, the engines go off. When I first got the boat I was hesitant to keep starting and stopping (wear on the starters), but that went out the window real fast after I sucked up my first rope and realized safety first!

ripler

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
MasterCraft
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
One function of a catalytic converter on an automobile is to reduce CO emissions by converting it to CO2.
I got cats on my MasterCraft and use a CO monitor when we surf. The CO monitor goes off every once in a while, but the LED on the monitor comes on at 9PPM and an audible alarm goes off at 25PPM. The highest reading I've seen is around 250 when slowing to pick up a surfer.

Um...in many states it's also illegal to be sitting back there while the boat is running....
It's illegal in every state since the safety guide is a USCG manual.

If the boat was owned by her parents, then the bear some of the blame by not showing her how to operate the boat safely. But from the interview it sounds like the parents had no clue about CO poisoning. It's a shame that the parents feel the need to sue Yamaha because they are partly at fault.

If people are unaware of the dangers of boating nothing is going to change and unfortunately this will happen again.

Jim_in_Delaware

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Boatless
Year
NA
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Other
It's tragic that the girl's ignorance (and that of the boat's captain) led to her death.

This is the type of lawsuit that gives lawyers such a bad rap. From the article, "But attorney John Uustal, who plans to file a lawsuit on behalf of Sidloski’s family, said “this is not a problem to be solved in the owner’s manual. There should not be seats in the danger zone.”" Uh, maybe folks should be responsible for their actions. Maybe if you are operating a boat, you should understand basic boater safety and take at least a little amount of time to familiarize yourself with the boat and at least the warning stickers.

If some people are too lazy to learn to operate boats, maybe we should just ban them outright. While we are at it, maybe we should also ban cars, electricity, and fire. :rolleyes:

Jim

deubank1776

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length
So I was trying to determine at what level (PPM) is CO2 concerning. I came across the following, and it suggesting that up to 1000 PPM, can be deemed typical of occupied spaces. Any thoughts?

View attachment 161808
Also just thought of this. I wonder what kind of levels of CO2 humans inhale while wearing masks?

deubank1776

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252SD
Boat Length

DogDadDave

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
While it's clear to me that this picture shows the person in the swim deck splashing the camera, while someone else sits in the rear seat, a layman could misconstrue it as the splashing meaning they are in motion and the person in the boat being at the helm.

This was posted by them on Instagram this morning. Doesn't do them any favors right now.

Screenshot_20210830-164650_Instagram.jpg

EricE

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
212S
Boat Length
While it's clear to me that this picture shows the person in the swim deck splashing the camera, while someone else sits in the rear seat, a layman could misconstrue it as the splashing meaning they are in motion and the person in the boat being at the helm.

This was posted by them on Instagram this morning. Doesn't do them any favors right now.

View attachment 162042
That's seems like a stretch, the caption literally says she's making splash. I guess you could put a disclaimer on every post where someone is on the swim deack, but at the end of the day, a boater needs to understand the machine they are operating and the risk/dangers involved. No amount of warnings matter if a person doesn't read them.

StayinAlive

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So I was trying to determine at what level (PPM) is CO2 concerning. I came across the following, and it suggesting that up to 1000 PPM, can be deemed typical of occupied spaces. Any thoughts?

View attachment 161808
That's carbon dioxide carbon monoxide

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
That's seems like a stretch, the caption literally says she's making splash. I guess you could put a disclaimer on every post where someone is on the swim deack, but at the end of the day, a boater needs to understand the machine they are operating and the risk/dangers involved. No amount of warnings matter if a person doesn't read them.
The boat is obviously not running… and she is sitting right in front of where the warning sticker is about CO exposure.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I got cats on my MasterCraft and use a CO monitor when we surf. The CO monitor goes off every once in a while, but the LED on the monitor comes on at 9PPM and an audible alarm goes off at 25PPM. The highest reading I've seen is around 250 when slowing to pick up a surfer.

It's illegal in every state since the safety guide is a USCG manual.

If the boat was owned by her parents, then the bear some of the blame by not showing her how to operate the boat safely. But from the interview it sounds like the parents had no clue about CO poisoning. It's a shame that the parents feel the need to sue Yamaha because they are partly at fault.

If people are unaware of the dangers of boating nothing is going to change and unfortunately this will happen again.
I think the number of drownings on boats could have been reduced 80% if those folks had been wearing PFD’s. Also there are a number of deaths related to not wearing an engine cutoff lanyard. Point is, the manual makes it clear that those devices should be used by all occupants, yet somehow those incidents are just tragic accidents….

This attorney is your typical ambulance chaser and is looking to exploit a family’s grief for his own benefit… his statement about the family wanting answers is total bullshit.