• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2021 FSH 252 Sport Thread

sleili

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
Picking my 252fsh up Next week . Has anyone looked into trolling motor mounts yet ?
I thought they came with the mount? If you figure out a good configuration and what a good shaft length is for them, please let us know. The motors appear to be backordered everywhere. I will be getting my boat some time between Aug - October (so likely December) and I want to get on the ball with getting one ordered. I'm leaning toward MotorGuide just because of the ability to interface with the Simrad Go12 that comes stock.

Rebel42668

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Leaning that way also . I will find out more and let you know

sleili

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
The two responses so far to my post are more of the same bad posting.

I like all boats! My friend and I talk about all kinds of boats everyday. We kick around the pros and cons of each boat and how they could be used for what we want to do.
I have a friend who was born and raised on Tampa Bay and is a charter boat captain/hard core flats fisherman. He was skeptical at first. Once I showed him pictures and we talked about the different features and capabilities, he can't wait to get out on it with me to see what we can do with it. It's all in perspective and most people these days don't take the time to listen and have a rational conversation about anything. I went through the same decision making process as that guy is trying to go through and am thoroughly happy and excited about my decision to go with the 252. I just didn't let anyone else do my thinking for me!

GrampaDoug

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I thought they came with the mount? If you figure out a good configuration and what a good shaft length is for them, please let us know. The motors appear to be backordered everywhere. I will be getting my boat some time between Aug - October (so likely December) and I want to get on the ball with getting one ordered. I'm leaning toward MotorGuide just because of the ability to interface with the Simrad Go12 that comes stock.
My 252 included a mount. The 60” Minn Kota shaft is what I have on order, (backordered with no expectations of it being soon) and it will be installed by the dealer.
Minn-Kota Item # 1358846. Terrova 112 is what I ordered.

sleili

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
Thanks Doug! If you don’t mind, how did you come up with the 60” shaft? I’ve seen some say you will need a 72” so just curious. Obviously the price point gets better the smaller they go so if a 60 will work, that would be great!

TommyB

Jet Boat Lover
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks Doug! If you don’t mind, how did you come up with the 60” shaft? I’ve seen some say you will need a 72” so just curious. Obviously the price point gets better the smaller they go so if a 60 will work, that would be great!
I took delivery of a 255 a couple of weeks ago. Are used the factory mount that comes with the boat and it worked perfectly. Minnkota 112 pounds 72 inch. It is the perfect size, I wouldn’t go any smaller than that.

sleili

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
I took delivery of a 255 a couple of weeks ago. Are used the factory mount that comes with the boat and it worked perfectly. Minnkota 112 pounds 72 inch. It is the perfect size, I wouldn’t go any smaller than that.
So it looks like the consensus is 112#. Is 60 just too short or doesn't get down in the water as much as you'd like? I'm assuming the deeper in the water, the better performance for things such as spot lock and drifting?

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
So it looks like the consensus is 112#. Is 60 just too short or doesn't get down in the water as much as you'd like? I'm assuming the deeper in the water, the better performance for things such as spot lock and drifting?
I have a 60” on my 210, and when it gets choppy I have to run the shaft down all the way to help keep the prop in the water.

The 252/255 has more freeboard than my 210 does so I’d think the 72” would be a must have.

sleili

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
I have a 60” on my 210, and when it gets choppy I have to run the shaft down all the way to help keep the prop in the water.

The 252/255 has more freeboard than my 210 does so I’d think the 72” would be a must have.
Great info thanks! I guess I never thought of it that way but it's better to have more and not need it/adjust it than to not have enough. Will be focusing on the 72". Do you guys think lithiums are worth it? Either the Minn Kota or the MotorGuide will require 36v at that size.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Great info thanks! I guess I never thought of it that way but it's better to have more and not need it/adjust it than to not have enough. Will be focusing on the 72". Do you guys think lithiums are worth it? Either the Minn Kota or the MotorGuide will require 36v at that size.
Always better to have more shaft than is necessary!

The lithium batteries are more expensive (five times the cost) than flooded lead acid for sure, but they are also 40% of the weight and have more amp hours. The LiPo batteries are supposed to last more than five times as a lead acid battery as well. One guy on here did an excellent job with his 210 FSH and went with a single 36v battery. His reports on the performance of that battery are pretty phenomenal, rafting up with two other boats and his 112# Ulterra held all three in place all day. Pretty sure he said he gets three days on the water out of it. With my group 27 deep cycle lead acid batteries I have spent all day trolling and did a bit over 10 miles at 1.8 mph. I’m seriously considering changing to LiPo batteries when my trolling bank is at end of life.

Here is the thread. https://jetboaters.net/threads/210-fsh-trolling-motor-mount-pics.24573/

Last edited:

sleili

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
Always better to have more shaft than is necessary!

The lithium batteries are more expensive (five times the cost) than flooded lead acid for sure, but they are also 40% of the weight and have more amp hours. The LiPo batteries are supposed to last more than five times as a lead acid battery as well. One guy on here did an excellent job with his 210 FSH and went with a single 36v battery. His reports on the performance of that battery are pretty phenomenal, rafting up with two other boats and his 112# Ulterra held all three in place all day. Pretty sure he said he gets three days on the water out of it. With my group 27 deep cycle lead acid batteries I have spent all day trolling and did a bit over 10 miles at 1.8 mph. I’m seriously considering changing to LiPo batteries when my trolling bank is at end of life.

Here is the thread. https://jetboaters.net/threads/210-fsh-trolling-motor-mount-pics.24573/
Thanks for that! I'm pumped to review it! I am leaning towards doing a bank of 3 12v LiPo for redundancy sake. That way, if we go too hard or too long at the sand bar one day and forget to turn the start battery off, we will have a way to get moving in a pinch.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Taking the 252 FSH to Nassau and Exumas June 13th thru 18th from Ft Lauderdale. Going to be a real sea trial. I'll update on trip once we get back.
Have you gotten a good feel for your range/gas mileage? I know the FSH has the biggest tank of all the Yamahas.....was just curious what real world stats you are seeing.

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
Thanks for that! I'm pumped to review it! I am leaning towards doing a bank of 3 12v LiPo for redundancy sake. That way, if we go too hard or too long at the sand bar one day and forget to turn the start battery off, we will have a way to get moving in a pinch.
Good plan!

You don’t need to worry about turning the start battery off though…. Your boat will have a DVSR (digital voltage sensing relay) incorporated into the BEP battery switch. When the start battery voltage reaches 13.2volts, the relay closes and parallels the start and house batteries so the house battery will charge up after there is sufficient charge on the start battery. Once the voltage drops to 12.7 volts, the DVSR opens isolating the start and house batteries. The start battery is only for starting the engines. On that same switch there is a manual paralleling switch just in case you need to tie both house and start batteries together to get the engines started, then you turn the paralleling switching off and all charge current will go to the start battery until the voltage reaches 13.2.

I have 3 group 27 flooded lead acid batts for my 36 volt trolling motor, and the thought of reserve power being at hand up front is a nice back up. I’m also going to get a small Antigravity brand jump starter and keep it on board, those things are noting short of amazing.

sleili

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH
Boat Length
Good plan!

You don’t need to worry about turning the start battery off though…. Your boat will have a DVSR (digital voltage sensing relay) incorporated into the BEP battery switch. When the start battery voltage reaches 13.2volts, the relay closes and parallels the start and house batteries so the house battery will charge up after there is sufficient charge on the start battery. Once the voltage drops to 12.7 volts, the DVSR opens isolating the start and house batteries. The start battery is only for starting the engines. On that same switch there is a manual paralleling switch just in case you need to tie both house and start batteries together to get the engines started, then you turn the paralleling switching off and all charge current will go to the start battery until the voltage reaches 13.2.

I have 3 group 27 flooded lead acid batts for my 36 volt trolling motor, and the thought of reserve power being at hand up front is a nice back up. I’m also going to get a small Antigravity brand jump starter and keep it on board, those things are noting short of amazing.
I had no idea about the DVSR capabilities on the boat. I am going to have to add that to the research list as well. Sounds amazing in theory! Love all of the knowledge and insight this forum provides!

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
I had no idea about the DVSR capabilities on the boat. I am going to have to add that to the research list as well. Sounds amazing in theory! Love all of the knowledge and insight this forum provides!
In practice it works great as my boat has one on it too…

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length

Zackdadams

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
On my way home!

Just want to say a big thanks to Luke and Duke over at Jetblast in Gulfport Mississippi.

They have been extremely patient and top-notch customer service.

Attachments

FSH 210 Sport

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
FSH Sport
Boat Length
On my way home!

Just want to say a big thanks to Luke and Duke over at Jetblast in Gulfport Mississippi.

They have been extremely patient and top-notch customer service.
Dude! She’s a beauty!!!! Hope to see some pics of the maiden voyage soon! That’s way cool you got the Yamaha cover right out the gate!