• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2017 Lake Shelbyville Illinois Gathering, July 26th to July 30th 2017

bobbie

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
Here's the conversation last year :

Bobbie: can I bring a drone to Shelbyville?

Corp: you need a permit

Bobbie: OK..how do I get a permit?

Corp: we don't issue permits for drones at Shelbyville

Bobbie: :banghead:

Just1more

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I say fly it! Never heard of needing a permit. If they want you to stop just plead ignorance.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
I say fly it! Never heard of needing a permit. If they want you to stop just plead ignorance.
Or bring an old non-functioning one....fly the working one, and if the cops come by after seeing it (make it a quick flight)...let them confiscate the dead one! LOL I hate dumb "laws" like this.....if you need a permit, there needs to be a rationale permit application process. [flag]

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
So maybe I'm using the old googlie machine wrong but in my search I can't find laws stating no drones on the lake in Shelbyville. Can someone point me to a link to try and see what avenues there are around this? I have found several videos of people using them up there. I know we have been told no so just trying to figure out how well advertised this law is or if it is something someone like me from six states away really could play off dumb on if push came to shove.

BigAbe75

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@robert843

As I understand it, and I think a thread somewhere talked about it, it's not so much a law as a rule enforced by the lake operators (Army Corps of Engineers)

Google this string "corps of engineers drones ban" and you'll come up with hits in multiple states discussing it.

I wonder if @Table_Rock_Lake is also affected by this. Isn't that lake also a corps of engineers lake?

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
So last year I spoke extensively with the Corp on the drone issue. They do require a permit, but do not issue permits for drones. This is a sure way to make sure no one flies a drone down there. Their issue was about privacy. They cannot guarantee that everyone that is filmed wants to be filmed. However, ;), most of us don't know about this rule and if we did at one point, we forgot, right? I believe the punishment is a command to stop flying the drone. ;) ........................jus' sayin'

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
On another note, does anyone still need a slip? If so, please check with me first. I have one member that is no longer bringing their boat but riding with others instead. They already reserved the slip and I believe they are non refundable. It would be nice to transfer the slip to someone here.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@OperationROL
Is Yamaha sending any video crews to Shelbyville? Do you think they would have enough clout to sway the Army Corps?

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
@OperationROL

We would be interested in the slip.
Great. He reserved it for Wed night through Saturday night so that should be perfect for you. He did not get electic but if you want electric, you can pay them for that when you check in. It is $120. You can pay me and I will give to them. They live on our street. Once that is done, I will have the marina transfer everything to you.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I guess I should start working out.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I guess I should start working out.
I am down 17 pounds for the year.
Gonna bring a marker for drawing on a six pack as well!

YamahaForMe

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Great. He reserved it for Wed night through Saturday night so that should be perfect for you. He did not get electic but if you want electric, you can pay them for that when you check in. It is $120. You can pay me and I will give to them. They live on our street. Once that is done, I will have the marina transfer everything to you.
Cool, We'll try to bring it by this weekend.

JC6275

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LS
Boat Length
On another note, does anyone still need a slip? If so, please check with me first. I have one member that is no longer bringing their boat but riding with others instead. They already reserved the slip and I believe they are non refundable. It would be nice to transfer the slip to someone here.
I have forgotten to reserve a slip, If this one is available I am happy to take it. If not I will call tomorrow morning and hopefully one is still available.

OperationROL

Jetboaters Admiral
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
Limited S
Boat Length
I have forgotten to reserve a slip, If this one is available I am happy to take it. If not I will call tomorrow morning and hopefully one is still available.
This slip is taken, but they will find you something.

buckbuck

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
@OperationROL , @Bruce , @Julian
Just relaying something that crossed my mind. Perhaps Yamaha would like to hold a brainstorming session at Shelbyville to hear from owners of the features they like, dislike and would like to see included in the future. It would seem to me that an experienced audience like this would be quite valuable at providing input to their developers. I know they have incorporated many of the mods we as a group have done, but usually the energy of an assembly that is freed to dream can come up with some very interesting insight. This, of course , would have to be held prior to 9:30 am as our crew will be out looking for flat water about then.