• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2019 Bimini Trip ( Unofficial Thread Until Admin Puts Official One Up)

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hey, when will the dates be selected for the 2019 Bimini trips? I have scanned these threads, forgive me if I overlooked, thanks
Hopefully by the end of the year.

Bimini Sands where we normally stay is in internal turmoil between the marina manager and condo owners. We are waiting to see if they work things out. If so I am predicting 2 to 3 large Bimini Flings in 2019. If not then it may be a much larger number of small trips. I am in frequent contact with various players at Bimini Sands. As soon as I have something to work with I will contact previous group leaders and we will begin planning 2019.

Brent Tharpe

Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
LX
Boat Length

Bimini Sands where we normally stay is in internal turmoil between the marina manager and condo owners. We are waiting to see if they work things out. If so I am predicting 2 to 3 large Bimini Flings in 2019. If not then it may be a much larger number of small trips. I am in frequent contact with various players at Bimini Sands. As soon as I have something to work with I will contact previous group leaders and we will begin planning 2019.

Awesome, thanks my wife and I and another couple are wanting to make the trip with a 242 and possibly an lx210, looking forward to it

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
That has been done but not very well. I recommend against it.

I had a LX210 and took her out off the gulf coast several times. One maybe one and half foot seas was the limit.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
That has been done but not very well. I recommend against it.

I had a LX210 and took her out off the gulf coast several times. One maybe one and half foot seas was the limit.
Ummmm wow I can't imagine the ride in one of the 2 smokes. My exciter was fast but thirsty and certainly not meant to be in anything more than 8" of waves, lol!

Av8tor07

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
I’ll be going in 2019. I like to think that other than a fixed mounted radio, I have all that’s required. I will be installing the radio before the trip. I’ll be towing from NJ with my wife and son. Looking forward to the trip.

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I’ll be going in 2019. I like to think that other than a fixed mounted radio, I have all that’s required. I will be installing the radio before the trip. I’ll be towing from NJ with my wife and son. Looking forward to the trip.
in 2018 we had 4 boats towing from NJ/PA so you might have some company on the way down to Florida

Av8tor07

Jet Boat Addict
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
X
Boat Length
in 2018 we had 4 boats towing from NJ/PA so you might have some company on the way down to Florida
I’m looking forward to that. It’s always nice knowing there are others around, just in case of any problems.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
For those who are looking for some safety equipment for a Bimini crossing, Costco has a sale on:
upload_2018-9-14_17-58-5.png

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Is this required for the Bimini trip? I only use my boat in lakes.
There is no requirement for an inReach for the Bimini trip however it provides satellite based tracking and messaging which would have significantly improved the situation for the boats that ran out of fuel and were left drifting for hours in 2017.

My family has carried one in floating case for the last four Bimini trips.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
It would also have been helpful if we (the rescuers) had known how to convert coordinates from decimal to minutes/seconds. The boat needing rescue only had decimal coordinates....and all our devices only took degree/minute/seconds input. We tried just entering the decimal, but it was WAY off from their actual location (like 30+ miles off). Since then I have installed "Coordinate Converter +" :)

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Geographic_coordinate_conversion

Do you need a satellite device like this...No. But IMHO, you do need a full size marine radio with the tallest/best antenna you can find. Satellite is an added bonus in the event you have to ditch fast....faster than you can hit the distress button on your radio.

MrMoose

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Well, imho, the inReach is a good tool to have in case of a ditch/drift situation. It's not dependent on the boat's power, so it is a primary rescue tool for ditching, as well as a back-up if your primary communication/navigation systems fail. Although I think that @Betik previously mentioned that in difficult seas, it would be almost impossible to use it as a navigation/communication device because of the screen size and THE LEARNING CURVE REQUIRED TO BE ABLE TO USE IT EFFICIENTLY. For communicating in a non-ditch scenario, the unit does have a bluetooth app that enables you to text from your phone, which is much easier to do.
If you need to prioritize your equipment for the crossing:
Must-haves: Built-in DSC VHF with the tallest antenna you can manage. Floating hand-held dsc vhf (I prefer one that has an option for a headset as it significantly improves my ability to hear and speak during the crossing). Built-in chartplotter.
Good to haves: InReach, PLB (sat personal locator beacon)
Nice to have: evil eye to ward off evil while crossing. ;)
upload_2018-9-15_9-18-53.png

Moose-out

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It would also have been helpful if we (the rescuers) had known how to convert coordinates from decimal to minutes/seconds. The boat needing rescue only had decimal coordinates....and all our devices only took degree/minute/seconds input. We tried just entering the decimal, but it was WAY off from their actual location (like 30+ miles off). Since then I have installed "Coordinate Converter +" :)
I believe most modern GPS unit have to ability to enter either format, you just change to the correct format in menu options. It is an important feature to look for, IMHO. I know my Garmin can do it and its old enough to have been discontinued.

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
One boat actually used an inReach to initiate rescue during a failed solo return crossing in 2014. That was what motivated me to buy one.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
If everyone going had shared mmsi numbers and a boat or two knew how to use the feature to tie into a chart plotter it would be as simple as requesting location, and follow to the dot.
Once i got home from bimini and realized i hadn't entered my mmsi number (most vhf radios only let you enter once) i decided that i need to research and get a system that does that.
My radio has the location call feature but i used my phone as my chartplotter.
In the drifting situation, if all mmsi were entered a lead person could call boats missing via their mmsi and get to them asap

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
If everyone going had shared mmsi numbers and a boat or two knew how to use the feature to tie into a chart plotter it would be as simple as requesting location, and follow to the dot.
Once i got home from bimini and realized i hadn't entered my mmsi number (most vhf radios only let you enter once) i decided that i need to research and get a system that does that.
In the drifting situation, if all mmsi were entered a lead person could call boats missing via their mmsi and get to them asap
This assumes that the boats are within VHF range. If so issuing a DSC distress call would allow the boat to transmit its location.

In 2017 both of the drifting boats rescued by other JetBoaters did not have VHF radios capable of DSC / MMSI or inReach. One had an EPIRB and was debating use. I am uncertain of the exact equipment of the two cabin cruisers that made it less than half way and were towed in by commercial operators. One had suffered a hull breach, the other had brought too little fuel.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
One boat actually used an inReach to initiate rescue during a failed solo return crossing in 2014. That was what motivated me to buy one.
Speaking of lx210 wasn’t this boat an LX210?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
On the June 2018 run, @Julian was one of the few who had both an MMSI and their VHF set up to auto reply to a location request. I know, because I used location request several times to navigate to someones location. There were quite a few for whom I had MMSI's programmed, but they never responded to any location requests, so either they didnt know how to set it up or they were operating on the DL.

Or maybe they were just avoiding ME.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Speaking of lx210 wasn’t this boat an LX210?
Glsd to see you in here. How yall fair? What the TV shows myrtle beach didnt get it to to hard.