• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2019 Bimini Trip ( Unofficial Thread Until Admin Puts Official One Up)

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
On the June 2018 run, @Julian was one of the few who had both an MMSI and their VHF set up to auto reply to a location request. I know, because I used location request several times to navigate to someones location. There were quite a few for whom I had MMSI's programmed, but they never responded to any location requests, so either they didnt know how to set it up or they were operating on the DL.

Or maybe they were just avoiding ME.
I had my mmsi number in my vhf... and i am pretty sure i had it to auto answer. My vhf is tied to my charplotter through nmea 2000 back bone and i never was able to figure out how to get someone to show on the plotter! I should have asked someone when u was there..

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I had my mmsi number in my vhf... and i am pretty sure i had it to auto answer. My vhf is tied to my charplotter through nmea 2000 back bone and i never was able to figure out how to get someone to show on the plotter! I should have asked someone when u was there..
I tried just about every MMSI I had and Julians was the only one that responded. I may have missed trying yours.

In order for someone to show on your plotter, you have to send a position request or "poll" and they have to respond, either manually or automatically. If they respond, their position will automatically pop up on your plotter if you have two way communication between your VHF and your plotter, which it sounds like you do.

Speedling

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SS
Boat Length
I think my vhf has nmea 0183. It has the dsc and mmsi and polling features.
Will the nmea 0183 allow it to talk to a chart plotter with coordinates or no? Is that only a nmea 2000 feature?

swatski

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I tried just about every MMSI I had and Julians was the only one that responded. I may have missed trying yours.

In order for someone to show on your plotter, you have to send a position request or "poll" and they have to respond, either manually or automatically. If they respond, their position will automatically pop up on your plotter if you have two way communication between your VHF and your plotter, which it sounds like you do.
Speaking of @bronze_10 (may want to try paging his MMSI again...?) - anyone heard from him?
Gosh, they are getting pummeled. Not the wind but that slow water creep - unstoppable.

EDIT: I think I had Mike's location wrong in my head... He is way further up, should be fine!

--

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Sbrown

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
I think my vhf has nmea 0183. It has the dsc and mmsi and polling features.
Will the nmea 0183 allow it to talk to a chart plotter with coordinates or no? Is that only a nmea 2000 feature?
NMEA0183 can communicate both ways, but your NMEA0183 needs to be two-wire. NMEA0183 uses a transmit wire and a receive wire; both of these need to be hooked up to enable your VHF to show a position on your plotter.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
June 16th-22nd?? :) never to early to start planning

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I wont start holding my breath until January, though

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We have to see if Bimini Sands gets their shit together. Otherwise it will be lots of small trips instead of the three large trips I had planned. Last week a group was charged $500 to use the pool in Peter Maury’s latest attempt to sabotage the resort.

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
We have to see if Bimini Sands gets their shit together. Otherwise it will be lots of small trips instead of the three large trips I had planned. Last week a group was charged $500 to use the pool in Peter Maury’s latest attempt to sabotage the resort.
Woah $500 to use pool and they were guests?

He is trying to purchase whole resort and build something mega

Berrie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Monterey
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
@Bruce does the owner not know or not care he's about to lose a few million?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Bruce does the owner not know or not care he's about to lose a few million?
The owner is an 80 something year old billionaire who travels to the US for monthly cancer treatments. The condo owners are upset. Whether Bimini Sands pulls out or becomes as wasteland like the South Bimini Beach Club with the same owner will be determined by what the various HOAs do.

If Bimini Sands does not work out I expect that small groups will go to North Bimini resorts many weeks of the summer. Big Game Club would be my preference followed by Blue Water.

Berrie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Monterey
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
The owner is an 80 something year old billionaire who travels to the US for monthly cancer treatments. The condo owners are upset. Whether Bimini Sands pulls out or becomes as wasteland like the South Bimini Beach Club with the same owner will be determined by what the various HOAs do.

If Bimini Sands does not work out I expect that small groups will go to North Bimini resorts many weeks of the summer. Big Game Club would be my preference followed by Blue Water.
Hmmmm.... As you know I won't be able to go next summer, but any thoughts on Port Lucaya? It's about 20 more miles, but it seems like a nice place. OBB also has a lot of condos and the marina. Maybe an option? Or is the extra 20 miles too much of a stretch?

Bruce

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Hmmmm.... As you know I won't be able to go next summer, but any thoughts on Port Lucaya? It's about 20 more miles, but it seems like a nice place. OBB also has a lot of condos and the marina. Maybe an option? Or is the extra 20 miles too much of a stretch?
Bimini’s combination of proximity, low population and what is left of the marine environment is quite unique.

Bimini Sands had a very nice combination of floating docks, condos, fuel, beach, infinity pool, sunset views, etc. It bill be unfortunate if one person is allowed to ruin that. The condo owners have tens of millions invested. I am hopeful that they will cast out the problem and resolve the issues.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length

Berrie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Monterey
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Just explain to her how much gas you would save compared to going with the boat...