• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

2019 Bimini Trip ( Unofficial Thread Until Admin Puts Official One Up)

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
didnt @robert843 say that it was more like a party place rather that a family oriented place ?
Coincidentally it might just be me without the family in tow for Abacos 2019...

Wisefam22

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I have been looking at other destinations. I have quotes from an expensive resort in the Abacos.

My biggest concern with farther destinations is new boaters who will be stressed after crossing the stream. They are unlikely to be prepared to refuel and make a second larger hop.

My expectation is that if Bimini Sands does not come around for 2019 that there will be a number of smaller trips to differing destinations. Several marinas in Bimini would be excited to have our business. Some experienced groups may choose to push on to the Abacos, Exhumas or Andros.
Abacos would go from west palm to west end snd continue or bimini and then on? What is the hop from bimini to abacos?

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
What is the hop from bimini to abacos?
Not sure a straight shot is doable for our boats without some fuel modification. I believe it is 100+ miles for straight shot and further away from the USCG

Berrie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Monterey
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Best way to Abacos is West Palm Beach to West End (70 miles), and then to Fox Town (80 miles) for fuel. Then on to final destination, 40 miles.

The southern route is from FLL to Bimini, then from Bimini to Chub Cay (95 miles), then to south Abacos and north, more than 100 miles.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
didnt @robert843 say that it was more like a party place rather that a family oriented place ?
Lol it is what you make of it for @veedubtek it was a party trip and for me it was a family trip. The area is massive it is a completely different experience then Bimini thats for sure. Supplies are plentiful to the point we really didn't carry anything across with us we just went to the grocery store it was the same as walking into a Walmart almost. I agree with the West Palm starting point. I would chart out Fox Town for an emergency stop if needed but its my understanding it is difficult to get in and out of but if you radio in they will send a guide out to help you get in if someone is available. I would just make my planned refueling stop Spanish Cay easy in and out and there is plane wreck you can snorkel just up the coast from the Marina for a little break. I wouldn't let Bimini Sands stop me from planning a Bimini run it just will be difficult to plan the same as prior trips but there are still plenty of rental options just make everyone responsible for their own lodging and make daily planned meet ups for the those who want to join.

robert843

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Has the group considered a trip to Abacos instead of Bimini next year if no lodging is available in Bimini Sands ? I am anyway planning for Abacos in July 2019 with a couple of other jetboaters in this forum @jayasaki138 and @fromrio .
@Amar Nanduri I found the people on this forum to be friendly and willing to answer questions I had if I couldn't find what I was looking for. No where near the participation level we have over here but they had good Abaco info.

http://abacoforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3&order=desc

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
@Amar Nanduri I found the people on this forum to be friendly and willing to answer questions I had if I couldn't find what I was looking for. No where near the participation level we have over here but they had good Abaco info.

http://abacoforum.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=3&order=desc
@robert843 the people in this forum simply rocks. If not for the tremendous help I have received in this forum, I would never have been able to cross into Bimini twice, let alone even consider future adventures. All of this in a span of only 2 years of boating experience (2016-2018). I am forever grateful to each and everyone in this forum who has in some way shaped my love and passion of boating into a lifelong commitment with my knowledge passed onto my kids so that they can continue this fine tradition.

Last edited:

Berrie

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Monterey
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
Fox Town is challenging to get to due to large underwater rock formations.

Spanish is great, we have stayed there, very nice people, great food (limited choice though), and usually stocked on fuel. But it is 20-25 more miles than Fox Town. If you can swing it, absolutely go to Spanish. But it is a little over 100 miles from West End. Of course, the Little Bahama Bank is generally much smoother than the Gulf Stream which will help with fuel usage.

The Abaco forum is a great forum. Not much traffic, but the info you get is mostly spot on.
For an Abacos trip, an absolute MUST is the Steve Dodge Cruising Guide to the Abacos book. It is updated every year. It has maps, tips, tricks, all the waypoints, do's and don'ts (and lot of advertisements for local restaurants etc.).
https://wspress.com/
It is $29.95 + shipping (not affiliated).
Based on my own experiences, I would recommend the UPS shipping option. It is more expensive, but I had to pay for the book twice because the USPS shipped book never arrived.

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
Fox Town is challenging to get to due to large underwater rock formations.

Spanish is great, we have stayed there, very nice people, great food (limited choice though), and usually stocked on fuel. But it is 20-25 more miles than Fox Town. If you can swing it, absolutely go to Spanish. But it is a little over 100 miles from West End. Of course, the Little Bahama Bank is generally much smoother than the Gulf Stream which will help with fuel usage.

The Abaco forum is a great forum. Not much traffic, but the info you get is mostly spot on.
For an Abacos trip, an absolute MUST is the Steve Dodge Cruising Guide to the Abacos book. It is updated every year. It has maps, tips, tricks, all the waypoints, do's and don'ts (and lot of advertisements for local restaurants etc.).
https://wspress.com/
It is $29.95 + shipping (not affiliated).
Based on my own experiences, I would recommend the UPS shipping option. It is more expensive, but I had to pay for the book twice because the USPS shipped book never arrived.
Ordered the book. Thanks @Berrie

Betik

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Its ok I'll get you out.
at first sight that sounds optimistic, but then I saw your profile picture.... Is there a difference between "get you out" & " take you out" ? Now I am getting worried I might never make it cuba altogether. :arghh:

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
at first sight that sounds optimistic, but then I saw your profile picture.... Is there a difference between "get you out" & " take you out" ? Now I am getting worried I might never make it cuba altogether. :arghh:
He never said if he'd get you out "alive".... LOL

Bruce

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 1*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Screw it...lets all just go to Cuba! lol
There is much concern about rough crossings and quality of facilities in Bimini. Cuba would multiply those concerns.

Amar Nanduri

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
SeaDoo
Year
Boat Model
Challenger
Boat Length
There is much concern about rough crossings and quality of facilities in Bimini. Cuba would multiply those concerns.
Legally we are not allowed to go to Cuba. Are we?

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Legally we are not allowed to go to Cuba. Are we?
You can if you're going to "help" and "learn" about the culture. There's also a list of places you can't buy from because they're owned by the military. I actually think that all of the ports are govt/mil owned so I don't think you can legally get there via boat.

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
You can if you're going to "help" and "learn" about the culture. There's also a list of places you can't buy from because they're owned by the military. I actually think that all of the ports are govt/mil owned so I don't think you can legally get there via boat.
Would love to see the look on the Cuban Navy's face when they see our flotilla approaching!
I'm also guessing that we'd all be intercepted on the way back by the USCG and boarded.

Still hoping the Sands can get their crap together....but have been eyeing a few VRBO houses in Port Royal! If nothing else, we can rent the whole town out! LOL

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Would love to see the look on the Cuban Navy's face when they see our flotilla approaching!
I'm also guessing that we'd all be intercepted on the way back by the USCG and boarded.

Still hoping the Sands can get their crap together....but have been eyeing a few VRBO houses in Port Royal! If nothing else, we can rent the whole town out! LOL
Yeah I've checked out a few VRBO as well. I'm also game for a non-Bimini trip this year as well if that has to happen. I couldn't make it last year, so I'm definitely going somewhere this year!!! The sad thing is that I think its more expensive to go "Key hopping" than it is to go out of the country, otherwise I'd just do that. :(