• Welcome to Jetboaters.net!

We are delighted you have found your way to the best Jet Boaters Forum on the internet! Please consider Signing Up so that you can enjoy all the features and offers on the forum. We have members with boats from all the major manufacturers including Yamaha, Seadoo, Scarab and Chaparral. We don't email you SPAM, and the site is totally non-commercial. So what's to lose? IT IS FREE!

Membership allows you to ask questions (no matter how mundane), meet up with other jet boaters, see full images (not just thumbnails), browse the member map and qualifies you for members only discounts offered by vendors who run specials for our members only! (It also gets rid of this banner!)

free hit counter

Raleigh/Durham - Falls Lake Gathering (July 22nd 2017) Aug 25 2018

AndyD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
They last few times I saw them they were looking for fishing boats. I know this is a dumb question but... Is falls really no alcohol? I don't drink but we have friends coming out with us this weekend who do... Or is it just the camouflage grounds?
It’s prohibited to bring alcohol through the state parks but once on the water I don’t believe it’s techically “park” territory anymore. We bring beer all the time and as long as you’re being inconspicuous and not acting a fool you shouldn’t have anything to worry about.

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
They last few times I saw them they were looking for fishing boats. I know this is a dumb question but... Is falls really no alcohol? I don't drink but we have friends coming out with us this weekend who do... Or is it just the camouflage grounds?
Its a state park so no, you are not supposed to. I dont drink on the water so i dont know how hard they police it.

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
It’s prohibited to bring alcohol through the state parks but once on the water I don’t believe it’s techically “park” territory anymore. We bring beer all the time and as long as you’re being inconspicuous and not acting a fool you shouldn’t have anything to worry about.
Hmmm, I thought it was still within the state park. Certainly not 100% on that though.

AndyD

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Hmmm, I thought it was still within the state park. Certainly not 100% on that though.
There’s a lot of area that’s not designated as state park so I would imagine the lake itself is not either; just the acreage around it identified as state park. Not definite but that’s the way I understand it. However, it is against the law in NC to operate a boat under the influence just as with a car but passengers “should” be fine.

DAC7DBF9-F8F1-47A1-A143-A6362C0DA738.jpeg

Julian

Jetboaters Fleet Admiral 2*
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
99% certain that the lake is not "State Park". Been boating on it for 9 years and always have a few beers and/or wine with us. The DNR does patrol the lake, but again, I was only pulled over once when I had no reg #s on the boat when it was brand new. They were very professional.

veedubtek

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Scout
Year
Boat Model
Other
Boat Length
I've never been on Falls without beer. I won't be this weekend, either.

Joshua Miller

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252XE
Boat Length
Does anybody know the height clearance where New Light Road crosses over? I'm launching from Holly Point, my campsite, but want to make sure I have the clearance with my tower. Lake looks awful narrow on the map--how is it in real life?

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
@Joshua Miller The narrowest part is in what I call the S turn seen in the center of the snapshot. I boat southeast of Holly Point all the time. Never really an issue. When there is traffic it sometimes make towing a tube tricky. But most of the time there is no issue. Just be carefull around some of the turns by the S turn area. Some are fairly tight turns and can get choppy with traffic. This section is just east of Holly Point.

Maybe I am just used to it but I have not really had any issues with this stretch of lake. The trees keeps the wind down which keeps the chop down mostly. Could feel tight if you are used to boating in a wide open lake though.

31C312F1-A55E-4B4F-86F6-281E07D225A6.png

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
@Joshua Miller The narrowest part is in what I call the S turn seen in the center of the snapshot. I boat southeast of Holly Point all the time. Never really an issue. When there is traffic it sometimes make towing a tube tricky. But most of the time there is no issue. Just be carefull around some of the turns by the S turn area. Some are fairly tight turns and can get choppy with traffic. This section is just east of Holly Point.

Maybe I am just used to it but I have not really had any issues with this stretch of lake. The trees keeps the wind down which keeps the chop down mostly. Could feel tight if you are used to boating in a wide open lake though.

View attachment 82023
Made my blood pressure go up when u mentioned towing a tube in that part of the lake.!

96Pirate

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
AR
Boat Length
Also, if you are boating the main channel around the S turn, be careful of the cove on the right side of the screenshot. Boats like to dart out of that area into the main channel

Eric Ballard

Jetboaters Commander
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
Damn, I've been so busy I'm just catching up. Looking forward to seeing you guys Saturday. I'm trying to read everything, but just tell me - we are meeting at the usual spot right? and what time?

I'd love someone to help get 1 or two of my kids up on the wakeboard if possible on my boat!

Last edited:

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
Damn, I've been so busy I'm just catching up. Looking forward to seeing you guys Saturday. I'm trying to read everything, but just tell me - we are meeting at the usual spot right? and what time?

I'd love someone to help get 1 or two of my kids up on the wakeboard if possible on my boat!
How old are your kids? What have they done on the water so far? I have a trainer ski thing for kids 4-10 that is fun for kids just trying boarding and getting used to the feel of standing on the water.....

Shookie

Jetboaters Lieutenant
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
I'm 80-90% going to be there. My boys are 7 and 12... assuming others will be there with kids too? My boys haven't tried surfing yet, but if someone is willing to let them try, that would be awesome. Been reading up some on the FatSacs and the new wake thing from Yamaha. Seems like more options coming so it might help me make a decision if I want to upgrade.

Seems like a bunch of you have done this before. Anything else to know? Is their beach in this area or you guys just float?

Julian

Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242X E-Series
Boat Length
  • The corner where we hang out has a small beach only accessible by water (I suppose one could hike a mile through the woods too). We will raft up there and float...and hang out on the beach.
  • 1/2 to 1 mile away is a park with boat beach where there are rest rooms if needed.
  • I hope to have my boat in surfing mode (@veedubtek would love your help in the AM with pulling the boat out, drilling the wake wedge bracket holes and relaunching the boat). So cross your fingers...I should be able to host surfers
  • Weather is looking to be perfect!!!!
  • If I remember...I'll also bring my drone for a group raft up aerial shot.

Joshua Miller

Jetboaters Captain
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
252XE
Boat Length
I'm 80-90% going to be there. My boys are 7 and 12... assuming others will be there with kids too? My boys haven't tried surfing yet, but if someone is willing to let them try, that would be awesome. Been reading up some on the FatSacs and the new wake thing from Yamaha. Seems like more options coming so it might help me make a decision if I want to upgrade.

Seems like a bunch of you have done this before. Anything else to know? Is their beach in this area or you guys just float?
I have three boys, ages 11, 13, and 15 coming as well. I think the kids will have plenty to do.

JeffVans

Jet Boat Junkie
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
242 Limited S E-Series
Boat Length
Alright so, plans have changed... I’d really like to come down but the wife doesn’t, we have company coming next weekend and she wants to get the house ready this weekend. Does anyone feel like “hosting” me on their boat? I can bring mine but don’t really see the point in being on a 24’ boat by myself... or if there’s anyone in a similar situation I’ll bring mine and host you. I’d really like to make it down to meet some of you other addicts and try out some surfing or wake skating hopefully on @Julian boat (if I can either bribe or beer him into it lol) and don’t want to miss the opportunity.

bronze_10

Jetboaters Admiral
Reaction score
Boat Make
Yamaha
Year
Boat Model
SX
Boat Length
I'll have 6 on my boat... U are welcome to come aboard.. But its an sx230 so one of the newer wake boats will have to let u surf..